A New Way of Life

After being poked and prodded for several hours, the healers agreed that Harry wasn't aging. After several weeks of continued testing, they still couldn't figure out why. Harry and Ginny decided to take action before the ministry noticed. A few weeks into the New Year, Harry moved into Grimmauld place alone. He had quit his job at the ministry, wrapped up various loose ends, and explained the situation to his children. Harry didn't want to be a test subject and he was tired of being used as a weapon by the ministry. They all imagined that no one would find it odd that Harry Potter, the boy who lived, their great champion would want to leave the public eye. After all, not everyone enjoys being famous.

*10 years later*

Harry sat in a chair watching the fire flicker and spark. He had been living with Kreacher and the elf's wife Mably for almost five years. Grimmauld Place was much more cozy than it had been in his youth. Kreacher and his wife were excited, scurrying about. Cooking and cleaning. Ginny was coming to visit so they wanted everything to be perfect.
After a wonderful dinner, they sat by the fire in the kitchen and Ginny told Harry how the family was.

Ron visited fairly often with Hermione. His wife and friends kept him up to date with things going on in the world.
"Oi," Ron started one day while Hermione was lecturing about new procedures at the ministry. "I heard a rumor that Malfoy has been missing. Any idea what's going on with that, Hermione? Maybe the little ferret was attacked by a vampire?"
"Ronald Weasley," Hermione huffed angrily. "Rumors like that are why we can't progress past old superstitions. You know it's not true and even if it was, no one deserves that." She huffed out of the room and down the stairs towards the kitchen. Harry and Ron looked at each other.
"Just like old times, eh mate?"
"Yea, just like old times," Harry said.

As they enjoyed the dinner the elves had prepared for Ginny's fiftieth birthday, Harry watched his wife and friends. He had decided that he was going to divorce Ginny. She still had a long life ahead of her and deserved to live it. She deserved to be happy. He couldn't watch his family grow old, cooped up in the dark with him. They needed to move on. They had all sacrificed so much for him over the years and now he would have to let them go. He just had to find the right time to tell them. He supposed that it would have to be sooner, rather than later. He had already filed the divorce paperwork. Ginny should be getting it soon.

A few days later, Harry told her. He thought his reasons were sound and well founded. Ginny had not taken the news well. She immediately called Hermione by floo. The two women tried to talk some sense into him. In the end, he agreed that they were right to get them to leave.