Chapter 9

I was reading in the lounge room, snuggled before the fire and Heath sat on my leather couch with his laptop propped on his lap, headphones in his ears.

My curiosity couldn't be contained any longer. I had been watching him smile at the screen as colours flashed across his face. He had to be watching something I surmised.

"Heath," I called to get his attention. He took his headphones out to listen to me.

"You can put it on the big screen," I said, gesturing to the TV before us.

Heath eyed the screen but then shook his head. "Nah, I wouldn't want to impose."

"Hate to break it to you, but you already are." If I were alone in my house right now, I would be giving a guy a booty call. "So, you may as well chuck whatever you're watching on."

Heath could see that I wasn't about to drop it. Hey, I didn't get to where I was without persistence in spades.

"Oh alright, I'll put it on."

Smiling in glee, because I won this round I handed Heath the remotes.

He turned the TV onto the... soccer?

I stood up to join him by the couch, already dressed in my pyjamas ready for bed. Heath's eyes darted away from the TV to latch onto my legs, trailing down them, before he pulled his attention back to the TV.

It was good to know I hadn't lost all my effect.

"This is what got you so excited?" I asked wryly.

"Yes, it's the World Cup," Heath answered, eagerness imbued in his tone as he raised the edge of the blanket engulfing him so that I could join him under it.

It was quite cold in winter, even with the heater on high and blankets abound.

I settled next to him, hyperaware that my leg was aligned with his leg, that we were bracketed close together.

This couch was huge, and yet we were pressed against each other as if we were two teenagers in the cinema.

Heath then did the classic move of propping his arm behind my head, along the back of the couch.

I giggled to myself and Heath noticed.

"What's so funny?" he whispered into my ear. The warmth of his breath near my neck sent little sparks of electricity down my body and I immediately quietened down, trying to ignore the feelings that his proximity roused in me.

"Nothing," I murmured, turning my head to face him and seeing his lips right before mine.

My breath stalled in my throat.

I watched him lick his lips.

I'm just an assignment to him, I reminded myself.

"So, who are we going for?" I asked, returning my attention back to the TV. I could feel Heath study me for a beat longer before also looking at the TV.

"I normally go for the underdogs, but it's unlikely Japan is going to win against Columbia."

I nodded at the TV. "Japan is going to win."

Heath was dubious. "They've lost all of the games so far, bar the one they drew."

I settled into the couch, invested in the game now that there were stakes for the team I was going for. "Let's give them the chance to prove everyone wrong," I said.

I wished he'd give me a chance.

"Of course," Heath said. But I could tell he wasn't convinced by my prediction.