Chapter One

"No, please Elaine," my best friend Harry Styles whimpered softly. I held the gun tighter to his head. "It's you or your family, Styles," I growled. He sighed and out his head in his hands. "Me. Shoot me." I paused, then jumped in victory. "Yes! I win again, Styles. Face it, Nerf wars aren't your cuppa tea," I mocked in a fake Bristish accent. He glared at me and leaned his head against the wall. "That wasn't fair!" Harry cried indignantly. I just laughed ruefully. "You used Mum and Gem! You know I would do anything for them!" I looked at him seriously. "Then do X Factor." He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, right," he mumbled, standing up. "Ughh, Harry!" I cried. "Come on, you've known me for three years. I only lied to you once, and that was so you wouldn't figure out we were giving you a surprise party. You're good enough for X Factor, why won't you try?" Harry sighed.

"Thanks, Elaine, but I'm just... Scared, I guess." I scoffed. "You're not afraid of anything, except spiders." Harry glared at me. "And your mum," he pointed out, and I laughed. "Still, just try." He shrugged. "What if I'm made fun of?" Harry asked quietly, looking away. "What would you know, anyways, Elaine? You're American." I leaned back in mock hurt. "Harry Edward Styles, how dare you. For your information Simon Cowell is also on American Idol, an American singing competition." Harry laughed. "Sorry. Just, I don't know, Ellie." I grimaced; I hated people calling me Ellie. "Look," I sighed, "just try. You have nothing to lose if they cut you, and you only gain everything if you move on."

"Fine," Harry said after a moment. "Really?" I asked excitedly; we had all been trying to make Harry audition for X Factor for months, and now he's finally agreed. "Just don't forget me when you're a huge star," I said only half-jokingly. He grinned sadly. "I promise that if I make it big, I won't forget you." We linked our pinkies in a pinky swear to seal the deal.

That was four years ago.