The Hit That Changed Everything

I saw his body go completely limp, I saw his knees buckle and his head whip back with so much force, the back of his head seemed to touch his upper back.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It was the semi-final game, the stands were packed, I was behind Alex at the running back position waiting for the play to begin. There was 4 seconds left in the game and we were 5 yards away from scoring...5 yards away from winning the game. It seemed so close but so far.

It was hard to focus, I knew my assignment, I'd block any person coming through the middle so Alex could complete a pass in the endzone and win the game. It was simple, I needed to throw myself in front of the defender and simply protect one of my own.

Alex, looked back at me and nodded his head. We had this chemistry, I've been his go to man all our lives on the gridiron. I was always his running back and he was always my quarterback, we made it look easy together.

Our team was set. We were ready, the defending team shifted to fit our offensive formation. My heart was beating, the crowd shook the stadium, and Alex proceeded to call the last and final play of the game.

Down!...he looked around.
Set!...he stopped and a defender walked up to the line.

He yelled to me "Elliot! Pick him up" He than pointed his finger at the defender.

Hut!...the play was off.

Alex dropped back but noone was open immediately, a defender got through our offensive line and hit Alex. His chin strap disconnected from his helmet but Alex broke the tackle and continued to look for an open receiver. Another defender was coming through, I threw myself at his knees but the defender jumped over me...I missed my block. By than another defender got through and hit Alex completely ripping his helmet off, Alex didn't go down he was determined.

The refeeres blew the whistle calling a dead ball because his helmet had came off and that put him at risk to serious injury, but they blew it too late. The defender that I had missed hit Alex helmet to skull.

I saw his body go completely limp, I saw his knees buckle and his head whip back with so much force, the back of his head seemed to touch his upper back.

He than hit the ground. I picked myself up off the ground as the other team ran off towards the sideline to celebrate. I ran next to him and yelled at him to get up and right before I could slap him the training staff threw me off and yelled at all of us to give the paramedics space.

The crowd that once shook the entire stadium was completely quiet. I saw Alex's parents running down from the top of the stands onto the football field towards him. When they reached Alex, the entire Paramedic staff stood up with disappointment and sadness in their eyes.

I'll never forget his mother's cries or his father's bleeding fists after hitting the ground so hard.

That day they lost a son.
That day we lost a hometown legend.
And that day I lost my best friend.