Chapter 1

5 Years later....

My alarm clock rang at 6:30 on the morning of my mothers death anniversary. I rose slowly from my bed. I picked up the necklace with the key my mother gave me the night she died on it. I looked in the mirror and saw my long blond hair was limp and lifeless, my face as pale as a ghost with blue eyes looking back at me. I tied my hair up in a messy bun and headed downstairs.

My brother Cameron was sitting at the counter eating a bowl of Coco-pops. He was wearing only his underwear and he looked as though he was dragged through a bush backwards. "Put some clothes on! Nobody wants to see that!" I exclaimed hitting him on the back of the head. He looked at me "Excuse me, I know quite a few girls who would disagree!" he argued. "Okay, keep telling yourself that. Whatever floats your boat," I laughed. I went to the fridge and took a gulp from the milk carton.

                                  Suddenly, my "So-called step mom" came into the kitchen and put her hands on her hips. "Lexi! Are you drinking from the carton again?!" "Of course not Stacie. I wouldn't dream of it!" I said sarcastically. She gave me an odd look and turned to Cameron. "Cameron, aren't you looking mighty fine today but I think you should put some clothes on before you go to school. They don't appreciate nudity in schools these days." I spat the milk I was drinking onto the floor. "Jeez, Lexi, what was that for?" she gasped. "I just thought of something funny," I joked. I could see Cameron busting a gut behind her. "Well, you better clean it up!" she said flipping her long blond extensions behind her shoulder. "Of course Stacie! By the way you look great today," I said sarcastically. She was wearing a tight boob tube that revealed her fake cleavage, a mini-skirt and six inch heels.

After I cleaned up the milk, I went upstairs to get ready for school. I put on a pair of of jeans, a t-shirt and a pair of high-tops. I didn't have the energy to do my makeup. I made sure I had everything in my bag and made my way downstairs. This time my dad was waiting to give us a lift to school. "You know I can drive," I told my dad. "I know I just wanted to give you two a lift today," he said. "Okay," I smiled at him. Cameron came out of his room, this time with clothes on. He was wearing baggy jeans, DC's, a hoodie and his straight brown hair was brushed back (Thank God!). Icould see the glimmer in his brown eyes. The glimmer I once had.

Just as we got in the car, Stacie came running out screaming "Wait for me Dave!" "Oh, here we go!" Cameron muttered, rolling his eyes. She got to the car and I rolled down the window so she could talk to my dad. "I need you to drop me into town hunny," she gasped to my dad. "Sure thing sweetie," he smiled. "Come on Lexi, let mommy sit in the front," she said to me. "You're not my mommy!" I exclaimed. I pushed the car door open and got into my own car. "Lexi, sweetie, I'm sorry," she yelled. I pulled up beside her "Don't call me sweetie," and drove away.