Annie Adams and the Unsolved Mystery

That evening Sheriff Len Summers, Deputy Darby, Pastor Murphy and Annie and her friends met at Ridgemont at seven o'clock, to to check out Frank Malone's hideouts.  They all hoped to find evidence of where Frank was hiding at the present time.  As they all were getting into their vehicles, Charlie lagged behind until Annie was ready to board Zack's van.

     "I hear that you and Johnny are going to the dance together," he said with a wry smile.  "Yes, as friends," Annie answered with the same sort of smile. "And I'd appreciate  it if you didn't share that info with anyone else right now." she told him.  "I haven't, and I won't,"  Charlie said, clearly offended,

     Annie immediately knew she had said the wrong thing.  "Charlie, I'm sorry.  I know better than to ask such a thing.  I know you're not a gossip and that you have always kept my secrets," she apologized.  "Charlie gave her a grin and said, "Don't worry about it.  I just wanted to tell you that it was nice of you to accept when Johnny ask you.  He so wants to be accepted into our group of friends."   Annie smiled and nodded at him.  "Come on you two!  Let's go!" Zack called from his driver's side window.

     Sheriff Summers led the small caravan to the old North Church,  Frank's first hideout on the list.  The group had been there a few times, but they had never searched it, except for the basement where they had found the "White Rabbit."  Pastor Murphy unlocked the door and everyone followed him in.

     "Maybe it will save some time," the pastor started, "if I show you all the room Frank used when he was a kid."  "Lead on Pastor," Len said.  Pastor Murphy chuckled then led the group to the second floor.  This level of the church had been used as a storage area for the overflow from the basement.

     They walked into a large room that had no windows and only one door that Annie presumed led to another room.  The area in which they stood held book cases here and there and they and the other objects in the room were covered with years of dust, and cobwebs hung from the ceiling.

     "This is the room I want you all to see," the pastor said, approaching the one door and then taking a key from his pocket and inserting into the lock.  When the lock was turned the door opened on it's own accord and revealed an amazingly clean little room, which was in sharp contrast to the outer one.

     This room had one small window that overlooked the fields beside the church and beyond.  It was evident that the window couldn't be opened without prying off the caulk that lined it all the way round.  Annie reasoned that this was nearly an air-tight space, thus no dust.  In the corner hung a hammock on pegs.  A desk and chair sat in another corner of the room and a very old and tattered Bible sat upon it.

     And that was it as far as furniture was concerned.  The only picture that hung on the wall was "Solomon's Christ."  The wood floor was scattered with bubblegum wrappers and potato chip bags, and a few test papers. "I would say that no one has been in this room for many years."  Len said, looking around.

     "I agree,"  Pastor Murphy said, also scanning the sparsely furnished room.  "It looks just as it did when I visited Frank those many years ago."  The teens spread out and began to scrutinize the space more carefully.  Annie headed straight for the Bible on the desk.  She opened the cover and read in a whisper: 

                                                         Frank, I hope and pray that you continue to

                                                         grow in the Lord and let him direct your paths.