Chapter 3: Like Nothing Ever Happened

It was quiet for the rest of the drive until the first building came in sight.

"Bradley look!" Hope radiated through Bradley, soothing his recently chilled blood.

"Yeah, it's a gas station."

It's in that moment of happiness for Bradley he realizes how cold he is. The cold has been gnawing at him even under the recent moments of adrenaline but now he really notices it. Notices how his hands have been shaking on the wheel and how his body sat limply in the seat.

It made sense, the coldness that is. He did fall into a frozen lake only to spend the night running from his murderous psychopath of a father in the snow.

'God this is fucked up.'

Bradley parked the car and turned to his brother. "Let's go." Finally Caleb understood that they were definitely going to be at the end of the road. After this help will arrive. There was nothing more to do. They would be fine.

Bradley on the other hand was focusing on pushing his thoughts to the back of his head. He felt that maybe if he just got out of the car and went in, maybe once they got home it would really be over. Like these next few hours will pass by in a blip and be the last factor in his childhood trauma. That the way he feels now, it's like a dream, just part of this prominent, crazy moment in his life that will soon just disappear. He won't feel this way tomorrow. Everything will be normal.

Like nothing ever happened.