I Know What Girls Like

I spent the rest of the day with Mack, and I had to confess, it felt like some sort of dream. In fact, every second I was with her was unreal.

Literally.

But now, I didn't care. I just wanted to be with her, for as long as I could.

But the question was, how long would that be?

In the back of my mind I knew I couldn't stay here forever. People I loved dearly were back home, mainly my brother.

"Lela?"

My thoughts fizzled away. I looked up to face my girlfriend, who was looking concerned.

"Hm?"

"Are you alright?"

I nodded in response, but she didn't seem all that convinced. Mack grabbed my hand and pulled me through the crowd, both of us expertly avoiding the judgy eyes of the bikers and surfers.

Mack let go of my hand and nudged past everyone, running into her favorite restaurant as happy as a child on Christmas morning.

I followed slowly behind her, frowning when I saw all seats were taken. The brunette seemed to notice this as well and ran over to one of the tables.

"Hey, guys." She greeted.

Two surfers looked up- the ones from yesterday, who had been criticizing Mack for being different.

"Um, hi?" The female one asked, seeming confused.

"You know what would be really cool? If I could have that table."

The blonde wearing fringe stared at the brunette.

"Um, no. But can you leave? We're like, in here."

"Yeah, like I care about that. Now get. Up."

"Or. What?"

Mack reached down and took their plates, walking over and throwing them in the trash. Both surfers gasped in shock.

"Let's get out of here, Giggles." The blonde surfer boy said, grabbing the girl's hand and leading her out the door.

Mack gladly slid into the chair with a sly smile creeping up her face.

"That was—"

"— Sweet." She finished.

I laughed and joined her at the table. I watched Mack munch on her fries as she re-tied her pigtails.

"Ready to go?" I asked after an hour of talking and eating. She nodded, still attempting to fix the ribbon on her right pigtail. It always seemed to slip whenever she got it straight.

"Let me help." I offered, walking behind her. She handed me the ribbon and I took out the other, confusing her.

"No, Lela. You don't have to--"

"We're just going to try it."

I brushed her hair out with my fingers (it was surprisingly tangled) and held the ribbons in my mouth. I gathered most of her hair and tied it up with the ribbon, then wrapped another section around the top to create a wraparound ponytail. Not a stray hair out of place.

"Finished."

"How do I look?"

"Great. I wish there was a mirror in he--"

But Mack was already running to the beach. She wasn't one for hair, apparently. Seems the brunette was just happy to have it out of her face.

The girl did rock those pigtails though. I followed her to shore, laughing as I watched her run into the water.

Mack looked amazing in that bikini.

Wait, what?

That didn't make any sense. Last I checked we were both wearing dresses. I felt a warm breeze on my torso and looked down to see I was wearing a plaid bikini with ruffles.

"Come on!" Mack squealed from the ocean, tripping over something as she came to get me.

"Oh my Goodness, are you okay?"

She jumped back onto her feet, her brown and totally dry hair swinging behind her head, "Fine!"

Mack hadn't spit out any water either.

"You sure?" I asked, walking closer.

"Well, you know what? I actually think I might've hurt something." The brunette moaned, and I bent down to look at her. But then she grabbed my arm and pulled me into the ocean, splashing water on me.

The water never got me wet.

"You, evil, evil girl." I hissed, splashing back.

The surfers up on shore took notice of us and began excitedly jumping into the water and participating in our water fight. And for a moment, both Mack and I felt a mutual feeling off acceptance. Like we weren't being judged anymore.

But we both knew it wouldn't last. Because as soon as our silliness was done for things would go back to normal here.

Both of us tired from all this, Mack and I walked back up to shore together holding hands.

I hated this movie, but I couldn't help but love her.

And that is what I hated the most.

"What did you say?"

I looked up at Mack to see her face had gone white.

I winced, did I say that out loud?

"You said you loved me." She said in pure shock, "Is that true?"

I bit my lip, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that out loud. I knew it would freak you out to know- mph!" I didn't get to finish that sentence, as she was kissing me now.

The girl was the first to part. She was staring at me with those beautiful brown doe eyes of hers. I bit my lip harder. The brunette pulled me into a tight hug, resting her head on my shoulder. Mack smelled like the ocean and beautiful flowers.

"Its alright." She whispered, tears dripping onto my shoulder.

"Do you love me?"

"I'm not sure." She admitted, "And even if I did know, I'd have trouble saying it. It's hard for me to say things like that."

I nodded in understanding.

"You know what we should do?" Mack asked.

I had a feeling I knew what she was going to say. I braced myself for the musical number. But instead, the scene changed, and Mack was holding her surfboard. And I was holding one as well, a pink one.

"You want to surf?"

"Why not?"

I laughed and helped her tie on her leg rope, both of us running out to sea. I helped her along the way, though I realized she didn't really need it. My girlfriend was surfing like a pro.

We ran back to shore, both of us in a fit of giggles.

"Are you sure that was the first time you've ever surfed?"

"Yeah! Why, did I do bad?"

"Are you kidding me? That was sweet! You were a total pro!"

Mack smiled and threw herself on me, knocking me onto the sand. We rolled apart and she crawled above me, kissing me on the lips.

Could things get any better than this?