|29| Comfort and Confrontations

Although Sophia wanted to leave immediately, Colette and Blake still had to entertain the well-wishes from the members of the London ton on their engagement for another hour. Sophia meanwhile waited in the Brighton carriage, wrapping the shawl she usually kept there around her shoulders.

No matter how tightly she buried herself under the thick cloth, Sophia could not stop the shivers. At first, Sophia had just been numb after the events of the night. As the fear of what could have happened slowly dug its claws into her, she did not know if she wanted to scream, cry, or do both.

If Blake hadn't been there and if her scream hadn't been loud enough...

Hot tears cascaded down her cheek, burning her skin with their heat. When she heard someone coming her way, she quickly wiped away the tears. The carriage door opened and Sophia spotted Blake holding a swinging lantern and Colette beside him.

"Sophia. Lady Colette and I finally convinced the ton you were ill and Colette must return with you. I will handle the rest of the pleasantries." He nodded towards Colette. "Take care of your sister."

As Colette clambered into the carriage, she turned slightly towards Blake and gave a sharp nod. "Of course. Thank you, my lord."

He then turned towards Sophia. While Blake was usually stoic and rarely betrayed much emotion on his face, it was not true now. Worry and concern were etched all over his features, from his clenched jaw to his narrowed eyes. He opened his mouth to say something but hesitated. Yet, somehow Sophia understood and gave him a timid smile.

"Thank you once again, Lord Cavendish."

Closing the door, he patted the carriage and the two sisters were on their way home.

The minute they started to move, Colette jumped to the other side of the carriage next to Sophia. She hesitantly held out her arms, unsure if Sophia would wish to be embraced now. Her older sister warily ran her gaze over her before launching herself into Colette's arms.

Sophia buried herself in the crook of Colette's neck and shoulders and sobbed silently. Hot tears ran down Sophia's cheeks, staining Colette's dress. Colette ran his fingers through her sister's hair, soothing and calming her down and pressed her cheek to the top of Sophia's head.

"Would you wish to talk about it?" Colette gently rocked her sister as she rubbed one hand up and down her back. "Lord Cavendish only told me a little for he believed it wasn't his story to tell."

Sophia nodded against Colette's chest. "It was Lord Darius Shaw."

"What?" Colette briefly pushed Sophia away before gathering her back in her arms. Her mouth dropped open and she furrowed her eyebrows together.

Lord Darius Shaw? How dare he! He promised no harm would come to Sophia and yet, he had just tried to rape her! Colette's blood boiled.

"Yes, Colette. The man who was supposed to marry me all those years ago. Seems he still wishes for me. That is not the most important part. He said something about a plan and me getting something. I am not sure. I was too mortified to listen." Sophia pulled away from Colette, rested her elbows on her knees, and put her head in her hands.

Colette's heart plunged. "P...plan?"

What had Darius told her?

"Yes. I don't know what he meant by that and he did not elaborate. I don't think I wish for him to do so now. All I can think about is his arms around my waist and legs as he grabbed my skin and face. How the air reeked of alcohol but also fear and lust and hatred. How I wanted to escape and no way of doing so." Sophia choked out.