chapter 6

—-
Chapter 6: Confrontation

I dreaded the thought of facing Adrian at work, but I had no choice. As I walked into the office, I could feel his eyes on me, full of contempt and anger. I tried to ignore him, focusing on my work and avoiding any unnecessary interactions.

Throughout the day, I could sense Adrian's presence, his disdain palpable in the air. I did my best to stay calm and composed, refusing to let him get to me. But deep down, his hostility hurt, reopening old wounds I thought had healed.

As the day drew to a close, Adrian called me into his office. I hesitated, unsure of what to expect. When I entered, he wasted no time in getting to the point.

"I need you to work overtime tonight," he said coldly, his gaze piercing. "There's a project that needs to be finished, and I expect you to stay until it's done."

I wanted to refuse, to stand up to him, but I knew that wouldn't end well. Reluctantly, I agreed, steeling myself for a long night ahead. I quickly called Ayla and asked if she could pick up Elle and watch her for a few hours since I'm staying later and she agreed.

Later that night, as I worked diligently, I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched. I looked up to see Adrian standing in the doorway, his eyes locked on me.

"What do you want, Adrian?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

"I just wanted to make sure you're actually working and not slacking off," he replied, his tone mocking.

I felt a surge of anger, but I kept my composure. "I'm doing my job, Adrian. You don't need to babysit me," I retorted, turning back to my work.

My mind kept wandering back to the encounter Ayla had told me about the other day. Adrian at the mall, with another woman. I couldn't shake the image from my mind, the thought of him moving on so easily.

Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore. He was about to walk away but my voice stopped him I felt my heart pounding like it was about to explode.

"Adrian," I said trying to keep it nonchalant. "I heard you were at the mall today." I paused and added in "With someone."

He looked up from his work, a smirk playing on his lips. "Oh, did you now?" he replied, his tone casual. "And what if I was?"

I felt a surge of anger, mixed with jealousy and hurt. "Who was she, Adrian? Your new girlfriend?" I spat out, unable to hide the bitterness in my voice.

Adrian chuckled, leaning back his head. "Jealous, are we, Camilla?" he taunted, his smirk growing wider. "Don't worry about her. She's just a friend."

I scoffed, not believing a word he said. "Right, just a friend," I muttered, turning back to my work.

Adrian spoke again. "You know, Camilla, it's been two years," he said, his tone turning serious. "Maybe it's time for you to move on. I have."

His words hit me like a punch to the gut. Despite everything, I had held onto a small glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, we could reconcile. But maybe he was right about that maybe I should try to move on. I finished up my work for the night and then left to go home with my daughter.

ADRIANS POV
---

I saw Camilla approaching, her demeanor carefully casual. "Adrian," she started, "I heard you were at the mall today. With someone."

Raising an eyebrow, I feigned innocence. "Oh, did you now?" I replied, trying to hide my amusement. "And what if I was?"

Her next words surprised me. "Who was she, Adrian? Your new girlfriend?" There was bitterness in her voice.

Suppressing a chuckle, I leaned back, enjoying the moment. "Jealous, are we, Camilla?" I teased, my smirk growing wider. "Don't worry about her. She's just a friend."

I could see the disbelief in her eyes, and it only fueled my amusement. "Right, just a friend," she muttered, turning away to focus on her work.

Deciding to push a little further, I said, "You know, Camilla, it's been two years. Maybe it's time for you to move on. I have."

As I watched her reaction, a part of me hoped she would still care, that she would show some sign of the feelings I knew were buried deep down. But Camilla's mask remained firmly in place, and with a sigh, I turned back to my work, wondering if I would ever understand the complexities of our relationship.

After everyone left I decided to text my brother Nathan, asking if he wanted to grab a drink later. Nathan and I had always been close, and I knew he could use a break from his hectic work life.

Nathan replied quickly, agreeing to meet me at a nearby bar. As we sat down, Nathan looked at me, a curious expression on his face. "So, Adrian, I ran into Camilla today," he said casually, taking a sip of his drink.

I shrugged, trying to appear nonchalant. "That's cool." I replied, not wanting to give an emotions away.

Nathan raised an eyebrow. "That's cool?" he asked, his tone casual but you can hear it in his voice he knows I'm full of bullshit.

"Well she met Leia and she thought it was a wonderful idea to invite her to the gala next week."

Nathan studied me for a moment before I answered with another nonchalant answer "um good for her I guess... What do you want me to say." I chuckled "You know, Adrian, I can't help but wonder... Do you still have feelings for her?"

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "I don't know, Nate," I admitted.

Nathan nodded, understanding in his eyes. "It's a complicated situation, Adrian," he said. "But maybe it's time to figure out those feelings."

I knew Nathan was right, but I wasn't sure if I was ready to face the truth. Deep down, I knew I still loved Camilla, but I also couldn't ignore the hurt and anger I felt towards her. It was a confusing and frustrating mix of emotions that I wasn't sure how to untangle.