Human Nature

"How long has this been happening." Michael asks me once we arrive to his home.

I look down ashamed. Too long.

"Mariah." He whispers lifting my chin up with two of his fingers.

I meet his eyes briefly. I don't want to see the pity in them. I couldn't take it. I sob quietly. He pulls me into his chest.

"I don't...want to go back." I cry.

"Your not. Your never going back there agian." He says.

"He'll look for me and eventually he will find me." I say looking up at him.

"And I'll be there whether he comes or not." He says.

"He will. I...should just go. Apologize maybe he-." I begin.

"No, Mariah. You have nothing to apologize for. He's in the wrong. Stay here with me. I'll help you with everything."

Hearing how kind he was, so selfless made me want to cry. How had Tommy changed so drastically?

"What did I do to deserve this?" I asked no one in particular.

"Nothing. You did nothing. Tommy is just a sick bastard who used you." Michael says spitting Tommy's name.

I nod. "Your right. He never deserved me."

"Let me show you your room I'm sure your tired." He says.

"Actually I'm not, whenever Tommy....Sorry, no I'm not tired. I just need to clean my face." I say. I.can't believe I was just about to tell him thay. Damn him and that trusting aura of his.

That's alright. I'll show you to the bathroom then." He says.

Leading me up a huge staircase Michael points out his favorite pictures on the walls. Some of his family and idols.

"Is that...me?" I point.

"Ummm....yea it is." He says scratching the back of his neck and biting his lip.

"Why am I up there?" I ask. "I mean I'm honored but...why?" I say baffled.

"Well I really like your music and your voice. I mean do you know how hard it is to find artist you write, and produce thier own music now, besides you one of a kind." He says staring into my eyes.

"Oh." I say. It's all I can say. One my idols just called me talented and one of a kind.

"I'm sorry did I make ypu uncomfortable?" He asks.

"No not at all. Actually you just made me extremely happy." I say smiling although it hurts.

He smiles back. "Alright let's go." He says.

Showing me to my room which thankfully had it's own bathroom Michael get's a phone call.

"Hello this is Michael." He says.

I have no idea who he's talking to but he looks at me.

"No. She is not." He says almost growling.

"Tommy?" I ask.

Reluctantly he nods. Walking to him I hold my hand out.

No he mouths. I raise my eyebrow and raise my hand.

He sighs giving it to me.

"Tommy I'm not coming back. I'll be coming to get my things and sending the divorce papers as soon as I can." I say and then hand Michael the phone.

"Mariah!!" I hear Tommy yell.

"Hang it up." I state camly.

He does.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"There's nothing to talk about. It's over. I'm free." I say.

"There is always something that has to be talked about, has to be said. You may not know what it is yet but there is. You don't have to say it to me but you will have to say it to someone soon. Don't hold it in."

I nod slowly. How would I know? Who was there for me to talk to anyway?

I sigh. "Thank You. I'm going to bed for now." I say suddenly tired.

"Goodnight then." He says closing the door.

I stare at it. What was I going to do?