Jade's Story

She’s dancing alone, I’m ready to go but she’s so lost in stereo lost in stereo. She’s out of control, so beautiful, lost in stereo, lost in stereo. And I’ve been waiting for so long but she’ll never know I’m losing hope cuz she’s so lost in stereo, lost in stereo.  I sang along with the crowd and soaked everything in. It wasn’t every day you could see All Time Low in Great Britain.  I cheered just as loud as the rest when they thanked the crowd and left the stage.

                I immediately pushed my way through the lingering people to try and catch them on their way out. I was running blindly and I slammed against another body. I looked up and felt my face flame up.

                “Whoa, you alright there?” Jack’s arms steadied me and I opened my mouth, but wasn’t surprised when no sound came out.

                “I used to have the biggest crush on you,” I blurted, completely ignoring everything else.

                “Used to?!” he practically shouted. “What happened? Is it because I’m fat?” He gestured to his body that didn’t have an ounce of fat on it.

                “Um, you’re Jack Barakat, I’m Jade, just an awkward teenage girl,” I explained. “I realized I had no chance.”

                He studied me for a minute, his arms still around me. Then he laughed.

                “Don’t worry about whether or not you have a chance with me,” he started. “Because let me tell you, you do. What I’m worried about are my chances with you.”

                “Welllll, if you’re asking…” I trailed off. “ I’m free tonight.”

                His face lit up in a huge smile and I felt it spreading to mine too.

                “Dinner and a movie sound good?” He took my hands in his and squeezed.

                “Um, could we just hang at my place instead?” I nervously played with the ends of my hair and waited for his answer.

                “Sure, anything to spend time with you,” he smiled down at me and brushed my hair back from my face.

                When we actually got to my house, I wished I had agreed to his idea. What would we even do?

                “So, what did you have in mind?” I wracked my brain, trying to find something that wouldn’t make him regret coming here.

                “I dunno,” I finally confessed. “I’ve never exactly been on a date before.”

                “What?” He stared at me, apparently waiting for me to start laughing and let him in on the joke. “You’re kidding right? How? Any guy would be lucky to have you!”

                “Not the ones I’ve met, I guess,” I shrugged and crossed my arms, looking down.

                “Jade, look at me,” he tipped my chin up with his finger. “You are absolutely stunning and I still don’t understand why you’d want to have anything to do with me. I don’t care what we do, we could sit here and not talk all night, for all I care. I just want to be with you.”

                “You sure about that?” I laughed weakly.

                “I’ve never been more sure of anything in my life,” he promised, rubbing his nose on mine.