Monday

Despite how much he hated it, Laurens had to go to school on Monday. But at least he would get to see his beloved Alexander again.

His first class of the day was art. None of his friends were in it.

He groaned as his mom's car pulled up to the school.

"Bye John," Mrs. Laurens said.

"Bye." John got out of the car. He walked towards the door.

"Hey Turtle Tail!" Hercules said as he poked John's arm.

"Heh. Hi," John replied. He opened the door. He walked to his locker. He opened it and shoved his backpack into it.

He grabbed his art stuff and walked to class. He sat in his seat and started drawing a turtle on his paper.

"Why do you like turtles so much?" Charles asked as he sat down across from

"I don't know. Why do you like yourself so much?" John snapped.

Robert rolled his eyes.

Their teacher walked into the classroom. "Hello class! Today we are going to be drawing the person across from us."

Everyone groaned.

"Haha. Well it's not a matter of if you want to," the teacher said. "Get started."

"This is gonna be hard. I don't think I can draw something that ugly," Charles mumbled.

John frowned. Charles was always making fun of him.

•°•°•°•

Lunchtime was in between third and fourth hour.

John rushed to lunch every day, so Robert wouldn't have time to be rude to him, Alexander usually brought his homework to work on, Burr ate something healthy, Hercules was usually late, and Lafayette usually ate some kind of bread.

"Hey guys!" Hercules said as he sat down next to Burr.

"Hey," Alex said.

"So. Hercules? Alexander?" Lafayette asked.

"Our science test is Wednesday," Alex said.

"And our projects are due a day earlier," Hercules added.

"Seriously?!" Burr yelped.

Alex and Hercules nodded.

"Crap," Lafayette said.

"Uh huh," Alex said. He noticed John was silent and wasn't eating. He looked at him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine," John lied.

"No you aren't," Burr said.

"What happened?" Lafayette asked.

"Nothing. I'm fine okay!?" John yelled. He got up and left.

"Definitely not okay," Hercules noted.

"I'm going to go follow him," Alexander said. He, too, left.

•°•°•°•

John was hiding in the bathroom.

"John? Are you in here?" Alexander asked. John said nothing, but Alexander could his sniffling. "Okay I know you're in here. I don't know why I asked."

John opened up the stall door. Alexander walked over over to him.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked.

"Charles," was all John said.

"Lee?" Alex spat. John nodded. "Of course." Alex hugged John. "Don't listen to him. He's just a bag of horse crap."

John sniffled. "Okay."

"Good. You ready to go back?" Alex asked. John nodded. They walked back to the lunchroom.

Burr was starting at a piece of paper and giggling hysterically.

"What happened to you?" Alex asked him.

"Theodosia," Hercules explained.

"Ohhhh nice bro," Alexander said as he and John sat down. Alex's phone dinged. He pulled it out of his pocket.

It was a text from Lafayette.

Lafayette: is John ok?

Alexander: Lee

Lafayette: oh

Alexander: yeah

Lafayette: what should we do? hold a John Laurens protection squad meeting?

Alexander: heh I guess. or I could punch Lee in the face.

Lafayette: do that. Just don't tell Aaron. You know how he is.

Alexander: will do.

Alexander put his phone on silent and put back in his pocket. He took a drink of his Gatorade.

The bell rang and lunch was officially over. The five left. Alexander stopped Charles.

"What did you say to John?" Alex demanded.

"Why do you care? Are you his boyfriend or something? Wait are you gay?" Robert asked.

"What? No I'm not." It wasn't exactly a lie... He was bi after all. "But what'd you say?" Alex had an angry tone to his voice.

"Which time?"

"Today. In art."

"Well just that he was ugly and that he's too obsessed with turtles or s-"

"You insulted his love of turtles?!"

"Yeah. So?"

"You don't do that."

"Whatever."

"I really want to punch you right now."

"Go ahead. You're so weak I bet it wouldn't even hurt."

"After school. The baseball field. We'll settle this there."

"Deal." Charles walked away. Alexander did the same. No one messed with John and didn't pay for it.