Chapter Five: The Note

Isaac and Gracie met up the next morning at Gracie’s house in solemn silence. One glance at his dark brown eyes told Gracie that he knew something. The thought sent shivers down her spine. He looked as if he'd seen death.

The two friends stood silently side by side through Mrs. Kahgi’s lecture about being safe and coming home at a certain time, and texting when they got to the library, because the town was becoming increasingly unsafe.

“And it's so early,” Eleanor said, sipping her tea. “Are you sure you want to go now?”

“Well, um--” Gracie started, but she couldn't seem to find her voice.

“Actually, it's the perfect time. Quinn’s still working for Mrs. Robinson, so his schedule is pretty full. This is the only time he's really free,” Isaac said smoothly. “And we haven't gotten to see either Quinn or Mira these past few days, so we really want to do this.”

Eleanor nodded, seeming distracted.
“Well, you need to be careful. And make sure you don't too cold.” Suddenly, Gracie's ears recognized the sound of a car pulling up outside.

“Is someone here?” Her mother's eyes snapped towards the door.

“Er...yes. Mrs. Seward is coming over.” Her voice was gentler than usual.

“Listen, Gracie, make sure you give Mira a hug for me. I heard about what happened. Her parents...well...they're worried about her. Make sure she's alright, alright?”

Gracie and Isaac shared a quick glance.
“Um...what happened, exactly?” Gracie asked.

“She didn't tell you?” Eleanor frowned.
“Her parents think she had some sort of panicked episode. The Kollens found her crying in the middle of the road when they came home two nights ago.” Her eyes went from Gracie to Isaac, and then back. “She really didn't tell you.” It wasn't a question.

“Like I said,” Isaac said quietly. “We haven't really seen each other lately.”

“Oh, well…” Eleanor sighed, touching her forehead tiredly for a moment. “Perhaps she's not ready to discuss it, then.”  A quick knock on the door interrupted them. “You kids be safe,” Eleanor said as way of goodbye, rising from her seat and heading towards the door. Gracie and Isaac exchanged another glance and hurried after her.

Mrs. Kahgi and Mrs. Seward were talking in the front foyer as they walked past. Gracie noticed that Mrs. Seward had a large black bag across one shoulder. The woman looked exhausted.

She and Isaac hurried outside, crunching through the wet, dirty snow clumped up along the sidewalk. They stayed captured in a nervous silence while walking to their usual meeting spot, only to round the corner to see the library surrounded by police cars.

“Uhhh…” Gracie said, cocking her head. Isaac’s mouth flopped open. Horror broiled in her stomach as she looked at the cars. Their lights were flickering brightly, red, blue, red. Gracie flinched.
Oh, no...

She looked away from the scene; movement caught her eye. Further down the street, she saw Quinn advancing slowly. The sight of him brought a different wave of heavy dread into her chest.

She should've contacted him the day before, but of course she hadn't. Would he say something?

Maybe not. His face was completely
white, and his blue-grey eyes were wide and fixed only on the apparent crime scene.

“What's happening?” He asked when he reached them. His voice was unnaturally soft, even for him.  He glanced at Isaac and then Gracie, but his gaze seemed to skip over her in a heartbeat, as if she were an afterthought. Gracie looked at her feet. “Did someone else…” He trailed off, his voice shaking.