Part Three

Wendy awoke when the sun rose, she found Jamie to be already awake. He was sitting with his hands wringing, looking at her. Wendy smiled at him and he smiled back, his hands becoming calmer and falling to his side.

"I've been waiting for you to wake up because all I've wanted is to talk to you" Jamie said, but it came out as "Hey, Goodmorning"

"I love waking up and seeing you next to me I want to do it every day" Wendy replied, but it came out as "Goodmorning to you too"

They decided to walk back to the motel, there was an open space between the field they were in and the parking lot. They walked hand in hand, both blushing as they did.

When they made it they sat against the tree still hand in hand.

"My dad is probably freaked." Wendy said. "My mom probably is too" Jamie replied.

They both knew what that meant, there were people looking for them and chances were they wouldn't be able to stay together. They spent the next hour sitting next to each other, hand in hand, Wendy's hand on Jamie's shoulder.

The next time she lifted it up was when she felt Jamie tense up. He was looking out at the parking lot where a woman was walking towards them. She looked to be in her mid-fifties, with short hair and a brisk walk. Jamie whispered to Wendy that it was his mom and the situation was beginning to make more sense. She was coming to get him.

"Well..." She Said, stopping in front of them. Noticing Wendy next to her son, and holding his hand, but choosing to ignore it and focus on her son. " Julie is... pretty complicated woman. It's a lot to take on. I'm impressed in a way."

Julie was the girl who he loves. Complicated seems like a good word to describe her, considering she thought Jamie was lying.

"Whatever." Jamie said, standing up and dragging Wendy with him. Jamie's mom gave Wendy a look as she walked away. She followed them into the cornfield until Jamie stopped walking.

"Aren't you going to get Julie? To come to talk with me?" Jamie said.

"What? I thought they'd help." She said, looking even more confused.

"Well.. It just seemed like you couldn't deal with me anymore." Jamie said, holding Wendy's hand tighter. It was obvious he had a lot of feelings about this topic.

"Look. I wanted... I... Look, I...I don't want you to end up in the same place as me."

Wendy felt like she was intruding on something personal, but she didn't want to leave Jamie's side.

"What does that mean?" Jamie asked."

"Well, I wanted you to be happier and I just didn't think I could do it by myself."

This revelation seemed to stop Jamie in his tracks. Wendy felt his hand go numb in hers. "You're right. I thought we were fine though. Just me and you."

"Yeah?" She asked.

"Yeah."

---

Wendy was led back to Jamie's motel room and walked in to find several other people occupying it. They all looked at her curiously, especially when they noticed Jamie's hand in hers. She was eventually introduced to them once Jamie noticed her discomfort. The man with the gray hair was William, The woman with red hair was Abbie, and the blonde girl with the slight scowl is Julie. The girl who broke his heart.

They spent the rest of the day together, talking and becoming acquainted. While everyone was having dinner Wendy decided to go tell her dad she was ok. She found him sitting in their room cuddling a bottle of whiskey next to Judith. Their conversation was brief and tense, considering the reason for Wendy's breakdown was his proposal to Judith who was sitting in the room. She eventually went back to the room and joined her new friends with dinner.

When they had all finished their meal and Jamie's mom, who's name Wendy later learned was Dorothea, went to the radio and turned on a song.

"Okay. Come...Come and dance with your mom" She said, lifting Jamie from his seat next to Wendy.

They spent the next hour dancing, and swaying, and holding each other close. They swapped partners and songs and more stories. Wendy spent most of her time with Jamie, swaying as slowly as the breeze and barely ever letting go. They danced and danced and danced until Wendy's feet hurt. When night fell Wendy and Jamie occupied a room she knew would be empty and slept side by side. Dorothea, William, Julie, and Abbie took the room that Jamie and Julie had bought.

The next morning Jamie, Wendy, and Dorothea went out to lunch, but not after saying goodbye to William, Julie, and Abbie.

Jamie and Wendy took 25 minutes to say goodbye, holding each other and saying goodbye in every way they could find. But they both knew they would see each other again.

and they did.

847 words // I hope you guys enjoyed the last part, but don't worry there's an epilogue!