Dangerous Traditions

The grass and flowers yielded and soon an abundance of gravel and stone came into view by using the light of the lantern. We were following the path that led back to mine and the further we trekked along the path, the dark  the shadow seemed to become. This was because the surrounding hills got larger the further we went which caused the area to be a natural quarry, even though we never truly descended into the earth.

     Continuing along the snaking path, we picked up the pace from careful and steady into a brisk walk which was close to jogging. An unspoken agreement spurred us on to walk even faster, as the quarry was eerily quiet. Every step seemed to trespass and disturb sacred ground which only added to the uneasiness of the atmosphere.

    "Are we actually heading towards the mine?" Peter whispered hurriedly.

  "Of course, who would expect anyone to actually come to the mine?"

    Despite the cool night air, beads of perspiration were forming on my forehead and Peter's breathing was being drawn deeper and deeper as we kept going. 

   The boulders and sharp rocks soon became smaller and more compressed in the road. There was also two shallow ditches that were parallel to each other which were most likely caused by constant pushing of the carts. We were soon approaching the mouth of the mine.

     I halted suddenly and Peter's small frame collided into me. Spinning on my heel, I faced him and the lanterns lit our faces with a pale yellow light. 

  "I promise I will keep you safe, kiddo."

   "I know you will." he responded reflexively, with a blank look on his face.

   "Just a gentle reminder." I smiled crookedly at him to reassure him further. "Just a reminder." 

   Turning around, we walked side by side in silence and the light of the lanterns revealed a figure in the distance. Closer, we walked towards the person until we could see him and I felt Peter freeze beside me.

     He was a tall man with light blond hair that blew slightly in the wind as he leaned on a metal pole-arm. He had beady eyes which darted around constantly and his face seemed haggard. However his most striking feature was his clothes as his red shirt depicted boldly, the image of an oak tree.

   "Were you followed?" he grumbled.

    "No, we were careful." I replied. 

    "Why is your friend so nervous?" his beady eyes made a beeline towards Peter. His fingers touched his pole-arm and weapon responded with a soft hum and shine.

    "It's his first time." I replied quickly as I sensed Peter was ready to bolt. "Teresa sent us to see the garden."

     Upon hearing her name, he withdrew his fingers from his weapon and the weapon ceased its humming. However his glare shifted from Peter and was aimed back at me.

     Reaching into my cloak, I caught his eyes squint and he shifted his weight nervously. Slowly I continued to reach inside and revealed a small pouch.  

   Smiling he snatched the pouch and played with the weight carefully. His demeanor become more relaxed and his tension went away. After grabbing his pole-arm, he grinned  and beckoned us to follow him closer to the mouth of the mine.

   "Get in" he instructed as he tapped on a empty mine cart as it made a deep hollow sound. 

  I eased myself into the cart but Peter hesitated before slinging himself into the cart. The lanterns gave off a bright glow, showing the dust that become unsettled as it floated around. 

     "Everything is going to be fine" noticing the troubled look on Peter's face, I tried to reassure him. "We are going into the outskirts of Paradise, to see the garden.

    "I know" he whispered and his face transformed instantly into an awkward grin. "I hope the garden is pretty."

     Smiling I tried to bury my doubts into the back of my mind. It was going to be a safe and simple journey. Teresa had safely brought me and then Hope, there was nothing that should be worried about. Flicking open the lantern, I thought I caught the troubled expression again but I ignored it and breathed out the flames. In the darkness, we heard the man rustle about and the sound of flapping as something covered the top of us.