Alice's Waves

Alice was five when she first saw the ocean. She remembered staring at the waves, with sparkling green eyes, as they crashed against the cliffs. It was enticing; Alice was convinced that she could have sat there for hours just watching the waves dance.

Alice was ten when she decided that she wanted to recreate beautiful sights with a paintbrush. When she went to the coast with her family the next summer, she made sure to take many pictures of the way the waves came tumbling into the cliffn from as many different angles as she could. She spent her free time drawing and painting them. She tried to capture as much of the beauty as possible.

As Alice grew older, she moved down to the coast to capture the never-still waves in person. She delivered the chaos of the of the foam and water and the still-ness of the sturdy cliff compared to the swirling of the violent ocean in oil and acrylic. She never got bored of windy days when the waves moved in new motions constantly and her blonde hair blew into her face as she looked out into the blue.

She came down one morning and set herself onto the top of one of the cliffs. She set up all of her supplies and pinned her hair back into a messy bun. She stared for a few minutes, marvelling at how the natural process of erosion was always changing her favorite place. She moved a bit further towards the edge to look out into the choppy wavesand smiled. Taking in a breath of sea air, Alice moved a little bit further as she had done a million times. Suddenly, she slipped. The wind raced past her ears as she tensed up. She knew that most cliffs like these had harsh waves, regardless of how beautiful they may be, and sharp rocks at the bottom. She shut her eyes tightly, bracing for death.

Nothing. Alice opened her eyes slowly when she relised that no quike pain or splash overcome her. She could breath. No water was flowing into her mouth. Her mouth opened widely when she noticed that she was, in fact, alive. Then, as she came to her senses, she felt hands lifting her up. It was like she was being cradled by millions of arms.

"Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no," Alice heard a faint, ghostly voice mutter on frantically. "we cannot destroy something that has loved us so beautifully."

It's pretty short but it's a start. This story and any chapters following are based off of a story prompt by writing.prompts on Instagram.