Chapter 3

Devan's POV

As his lips touched mine I felt so happy I couldn't move. His lips turned into a sly smile against mine and I suddenly felt able to move only my lips, my heart was beating so fast he could probably hear it. I moved my other hand up to reach for his face, he pushed his own against it. I heard the song stop and another start, but didn't care what it was I was getting hot. We pulled away from each other and started breathing heavily. The windows had just started fogging up.

Lights flashed on my eyes from the rearview mirror.

"Mom!" I almost yelled as our hands flew apart. She flashed the lights as a signal to come here.

We both got out and I walked to the driver side of her cars as she was rolling down the window. I heard Dan walking up behind me.

"What the hell are you two doing out here in the cold?" Mom half barked at us. I looked at Dan and saw he was shaking, and realized I was too.

"Mrs. Lee we were just... Just ugh... Talking for a few minutes before I headed home?" Dan asked me clutching at the air, he does that when he gets nervous, and I nodded and looked back at her.

"Why are you holding hands?" Her face got red the instant she asked us, realizing it.

"Ugh..." We let go of each other again.

"Devan take this inside." She didn't look me in the eyes and handed her work bag to me. "And Daniel you are coming inside... We need to talk."

He put his head down and we walked into the garage, I looked back and stopped as I saw my mom's eyes getting red, Dan saw them too and closed her door for her. As we walked into the kitchen she rubbed her eyes trying hard not to cry. I set her bag in one of the chairs and Dan grabbed my arm as he sat down in front of mom.

"I... I don't know what to say... Or think... Or anything right now." Her hands where shaking also and I reached out and touched her hand. She looked up at Dan and I. "Does your mother know Daniel?" He shook his head. "...should I call them and invite them over?" She asked herself out loud, "What will James say..."

"I will call them if you want me to." Dan's voice shook a little.

"Yeah... Do that. Call them." I saw lights search across the kitchen. "Well here he comes..." A muffled door slam and Dan jumped as he started talking to his mom asking if she would come over to my house for dinner please.

"I'm home honey!" He said with a smile "What's wrong you guys? What are you doing here Danny?"

"We need to talk about something James..." Mom said shaking less. Another set of lights searched the kitchen and Dan's parents came in quicker than dad and walked straight to Dan.

"What's wrong baby?" Dan's mother asked hugging him.

"We need to have a talk." Mom said not shaking anymore.

"What about?" Dan's dad asked.

"Us." I said quietly hoping he did not hear me. "We... We..." I choked up on my words and Dan put his hand on mine.

"We like each other." Dan took over and our dad's faces got red and his mom covered her mouth.

"No!" His dad said loud and his mom jumped and grabbed his arm. "No son of mine is a faggot!" He took his wife's arm of of him and started walking back out the door. He stopped at the door and yelled, "You are not allowed in my house!"

"But... Michael... Stop. Come back!" His wife said crying and chasing after him. Dan slumped over and started crying hard. I tried to hug him but he pushed me away.

"You can stay here." Mom said quickly walking over to us and hugged him.

"Yeah Danny." Dad said worried.

"No... I'll sleep... In... In my car." He said starting to get up.

"You will not. I won't let you die out there!" I said reaching for him.

"You can sleep on our couch. Until your dad gets over himself..." Mom said.