Chapter 3

Ok sorry this took me so long to post. I've been so busy with school and sports and taking a time away from my phone so I haven't had all that much time to actually write.

The train suddenly jolted, causing Kara to slightly fall forwards as Alex stood up. "We're gonna have to jump."

"Jump?" Kara asked, looking at Alex.

Alex nodded and grabbed the side of the car, leaning outside of it and looking at the buildings that spanned out across the city. She quickly found the building she was looking for and climbed back in.

Kara had stood up by now and was by Alex as the Dauntless prepared to jump from the train. She watched in fascination as they ran across the car and jumped without any fear. Suddenly Alex grabbed her hand and brought her to the other door of the car before sprinting forwards with her. Kara felt a rush like never before as she jumped with Alex out of the moving car and to the roof.

She let go of Alex's hand as she flew through the air. As soon as she landed she quickly rolled so that she wouldn't injure himself. She laughed as she saw Alex standing there with a huge smirk on her face, hand extended towards Kara.

Kara took it greatfully and pulled herself up from off of the hard gravel. She watched as all of the rest of the people jumped from the remaining cars. She didn't see a lot of transfers as she followed Alex to where most of the people were standing.

"Listen up! I'm Mike and I'll be one of your instructors, along with Alex," he pointed at Alex, "Diggle, and Clark. You guys are here for one reason and one reason on-"

"Oh just cut to the chase Mike," Clark interrupted, jumping along the edge too. "Basically you want a chance to show that you have what it takes to join Dauntless then just come to the ledge and jump off."

"What is there something down there?" An Erudite boy asked.

"You'll just have to wait and see. Any takers?" Clark asked, gesturing to behind him.

"Go Kara." Alex pressed against Kara's back. "There's a net at the bottom and the first jumper gets good credit."

Kara took a breath, steeling herself before walking forwards. Clark jumped off the ledge, letting Kara take his place.

One look over the edge almost caused Kara to back down but instead of over thinking it she didn't think and just jumped. For a second it felt like she was weightless but that ended soon when she landed on a net. Alex hadn't been lying.

Suddenly the net dipped and she rolled the edge where people were waiting to help her down. "What's your name?" An older black skinned man asked.

It took her a second for her senses to return to her. The man just looked at her with a look that said get to the point but with her name. "Um, K-Kara, my name's Kara," she stuttered out.

"First jumper: Kara!" The man yelled and suddenly a whole chorus of voices shouted the words.

***

Once everyone was down and on the ground they told them to make a half circle around the stairs to the net. Alex, Mike, Clark, and Diggle all stood around.

"Ok initiates, all transfers  will go with Mike and Alex while Dauntless born will go with me and Diggle," Clark yelled over the mass of people. "You will all be ranked differently for the first the first round of ranking but will be ranked together in the second."

Everyone looked around nervously at the words, however, Kara only found one pair of eyes, a certain hazel pair to be exact.

"Dismissed!"

***

"Ok initiates, follow me," Alex gestured for the greenhorns to follow. "We're heading to the dorms."

The "dorms" were just multiple rows of beds lined up next to each other in four rows, ending in a gym locker room type area. "Ok initiates, this will be your living quarters. I don't care how you separate it but just know that you're all going to be together in here, no real privacy," Alex explained, brining her hand down on one of the beds. Everyone jumped at the noise and Alex smirked.

"I'm going to give you some time to get situated here but I want you out in the pit in 10 minutes."

***

"A gun is one of the most useful equipment you can use in your time at Dauntless," Alex started, hands behind her back as she walked back and forth in front of the targets. "A gun, is only as dangerous as the person holding it. Learn to use it correctly and you should have a better chance in staying alive."

All of the eight transfers held their guns with the barrels pointed to the ground, looking at Alex like she was insane. "You're each going to shoot at the targets seven times, one for each member of people transferred. The person with the closest grouping to the chest or head will get the most points. Understood?"

Everyone nodded their heads. "Good." Alex moved out of the way, gesturing to the targets. Everyone got down on a knee, aiming down the range. "Disengage the safety." Clicks of safteys coming off filled the air. "Aim your sights." Everyone checked their aim. "Fire when ready."

The cracks of bullets split the air, the sound reverberating off of the concrete walls that surrounded the range. Most bullets found the wall behind the targets but some were lucky to hit the target.

As the sound of gunfire began to die down two people still stood, both having shot six out of their seven bullets. One a girl, the other a boy. Oliver and Kara, Oliver shot first, hitting his target in the direct center of where it's forehead would be. Kara followed shortly after, hitting the chest though, rather than head.

"Well done. Some shot better than others but you still all did well," the other instructor Mike spoke up. "It appears Kara and Oliver have shot the best out of everyone, both having hit seven out of seven shots, but this is only the first test. There will be plenty more to show yourself."

***

After Kara sat on her bed, playing with the necklace around her neck. Alex had given it to her when she and her started to become friends. It was her most prized possession and she would die before giving it up.

She thought back to how she could've shot better if she hadn't pressed the trigger as hard as she had. Too late now. She turned on her side, still playing with the necklace. She knew she needed to get to sleep, tomorrow would be a long day.

Clark isn't related to Kara in this. Once again I'm really sorry for not updating but I hope to write more. Word count:1164