Insane

I woke up in the middle of the night to the sounds of people quarreling downstairs. My parents had been fighting quite often, so I decided to peep through the cracked open of my door. I had expected to see my drunken father in an innocent argument with my mother. Instead, I saw a scene of a horror movie. My mother other stood crying in the hallway with three men surrounding her, all of them armed. "I will ask you one last time. Where is the girl?" said one of the men. She started crying harder. I shut my door, unable to see more. I heard the shot of a gun and then footsteps. My only instinct was to hide in my wardrobe, my signiture spot during a game of hide and seek. The only problem was that I hadn't been in this wardrobe since I was five years old and I could not fit inside without the doors being slightly ajar. From my hiding place, I could hear footsteps get louder, which was a signal that I had no time to switch spots. From my hiding place, I saw one of men. He eyed the entire room. "She really isn't here." he said. As the other men walked into my room, one of them caught my eye. I panicked at the thought that I was going to be exposed at that very moment, but the man who saw me just turned around and paced around the room. "You're right, let's leave immediately." he then said to the other man, who I assumed was his leader. About ten minutes later, when I felt that the strange men were gone, I decided to go down to my mother and see if she was alive. Blood was splattered throughout the room and my mother was gasping for breath. I held her in my arms and frantically cried. In her final seconds, my mother touched my face. "You're a very special girl, Natalia." she whispered.