Prologue

“What if you could touch the stars, what would you do with them?”

“I'd make a pretty light show for everyone I care for!”

“Are me and your father invited?”

“Of course, mommy!”

Meet Vixie Collins, She’s not as human as the others. Vixie took some of the human appearance, but possesses bat like ears, wings, and the small tail. Vixie is a young inventor, and a young scientist. She dreams of making things no one else has thought of, finding new cures and such. When Vixie was young, her mother would always encourage her to become what she wanted, she missed her father however. Due to his job, he rarely had time off to see his family, he mostly came home at the dead of night when everyone else was asleep. Sometimes Vixie would bake cookies with her mother and set them in the fridge for her dad, a lot like how kids would prepare for Santa.

As Vixie got older, Vixie found it so easy to make friends, and yet it was so easy to make enemies as well. As Vixie walked to the bus stop, she turned around hearing a familiar voice call out her name. She smiled when she saw Mango, her childhood best friend run up to her. “Guess where I’m going Saturday??” Mango asked excited, Vixie giggled. “Where?” She questioned, watching Mango practically explode. “I'm going to that famous museum with all those great inventors and stuff!” Mango replied, Vixie just gasped in amazement. “Lucky!”

“I bet if you asked your parents, we could go together! Just like we used to do when we were little!” Mango smiled. A smile formed on Vixie’s face at the sound of that. Vixie and Mango had always went places together, you would never see one of them in any building without the other, unless of course it was their own home. When the school bus showed up, Vixie and Mango, as well as the others got in. Vixie and Mango sat together in the 10th seat towards the end, their usual seats. Mango glanced out the window as traffic went by, giggling and pointing out when she saw an odd looking car. Vixie smiled, and pointed to other things, like people being dragged by their dogs on the sidewalk. Both laughed, they do this everyday and it never gets old for them.

Eventually, the school bus was filled with students as they arrived to school. Mango and Vixie walked to their lockers instead of the cafeteria, since they already ate breakfast at home. A few kids stood on another end of them at their lockers, whispering something. Vixie’s left bat like ear twitched and Vixie felt like she was going to cry. Sure, Vixie has friends. But some of the kids that didn't like Vixie often spoke behind her back, seeming not to have the guts to say it when they know she's around. Mango put some of the books she wouldn't need for their upcoming class in her locker. She turned to look at Vixie who did the same, only a worried face crossed Mango’s face. “Vixie, are you okay?” Mango asked worriedly Vixie nodded, even though her eyes said otherwise. “Let’s just..go to class.” Vixie said, turning away. Mango stopped Vixie.

“Yes?” Vixie questioned, Mango smiled. “Remember, as your bestest friend I'm always here for you when you need me! I promise!” Mango replied, still smiling as Vixie smiled too. “Thanks, Mango.”