Chapter 1

Beep- Beep- Beep What was that? I've been hearing this annoying noise, but I had no idea what it was or where it was coming from. I slowly opened my eyes and quickly shut them because I was blinded by light. I tried to move but the stiff blankets that held me wouldn't let that happen, so I gave in and laid there a while listening to the steady Beeps.

I woke up sometime later when I felt someone poking at my arm. I jolted, "HEY!"

“Katy you’re in the hospital and you’re completely safe. Now stop fighting me or you’ll hurt yourself,” the nurse was panicking trying to hold me down.

I finally gave up. “Where are my parents?” I asked after she fixed my IV.

“They are on their way and should be here shortly,” she smiled at me and walked out to go help another nurse.

Why’d she leave? Why was I even here? My head started spinning and I felt sick. My heart started racing and my throat started closing. The heart monitor was going crazy and soon enough two nurses rushed into my room. One went to check my vitals and the other sat me up and rubbed by back, trying to calm me down.

“Katy, you’re having a panic attack you need to take deep breaths and calm down,” she spoke calmly.

I took a couple of breaths but no luck, so I tried to motion that I needed my inhaler. She understood and reached for it on the bedside and gave it to me. I used it a couple of times before I could finally relax.

“I take it you’ve had one before?” the nurse asked handing me a cup of water.

I took a sip to soothe my throat, “Yeah, all the time, but if the attack is bad enough it triggers an asthma attack as well.”

“That’s a lot to handle at such a young age,” she looked sad for my in more ways than one, but I didn’t have time to ask what was wrong because my mom was running through the door.

“Katy! You’re awake!” she ran up and hugged me.

The nurse told my parents about the attack and then she went to tend to other patients.

“Are you okay Katy, they said the attack was pretty bad don’t play it down you just woke up from a coma,” my dad already started drilling me.

“I’m fine, you’d have a panic attack too if you woke up alone in the hospital. And wait coma? What happened why am I even here?” I rushed.

“Katy, honey, you were in a terrible car accident. You don’t remember?” my mom looked worried and then whispered something to my dad.

“What?” I hated secrets more than anything.

“Katy how old are you?” my dad asked timidly

“Nineteen. why? You know how old I am.” They gave each other terrified looks. “You guys are starting to scare me.”