Sorry!

In the meadows. In the stars. He was he and I was I. An inexplicable person. A tireless soul. Aching for a moment greater. For a moment less precise. 

There was an echo around us and I forced myself not to look up. Sounds of shredded paper falling to the ground.

I yearned for a different storyline. A backspace button. He fell for a word. A simple, useless syllable.

A suffocating warmth enters the room and suddenly I don't want to be alone with him. He couldn't have meant it. I shouldn't have brought it up.

Music plays from downstairs. A pounding heartbeat urging me to stay. I enjoyed the trill for a couple hours before reality dragged me back.

Is this how it was meant to be? All those years dreaming of lies and torture. Hoping that my soulmate would be him. I guess fairytales were meant to be just that. Stupid, unrealistic fantasies where everybody wins.

Didn't we all fight to be the hero? Why is it now, I'm the bad guy?

He grabs his keys from the counter and heads to the door. I run after him, "Seb, I'm sorry."

I reach for his arm and he pushes me away. No no no no. Don't go. I plead, slurring out precious sentences that would have meant the world to him at a different time. "Sebastian, please."

He's crying and so am I, "You think this is easy for me? You think I want to walk out that door?"

This time I reach for his face, resting my hands on his jaw, "Then stay."

He shakes his head, leaning his forehead against mine before pulling back. "I can't. Not with you here."

I choke out a sob, "Stop saying that. Stop saying these crazy things."

"Crazy? I'm not the one- look at you! Why would you do that?"

I grab his shirt but he denies me again, "It was a mistake, Seb. I don't want to hurt you." He opens the door and storms out, "Sebastian! Sebastian!"

His headlights leave my figure as soon as it appears and the only noise I can make out is the thunder and the rain. Someone shouts something a few feet from me, "Killer party, right?!"

I nod, rubbing my hands up and down my arms. Yeah, pretty killer.

I stand in the dark, watching the water wet the asphalt and the lightning light the sky. In the cold, I convince myself that's where I'm meant to be. We should've stayed home. One of us should've denied the invite.

Possible scenarios of another night run through my head. Movies with popcorn. Dancing and showers. Kisses and hugs.

Through the whirl of the storm, the music is still heard and the constant chit-chat and laughter doesn't stop. I should've forced myself in the car. How am I going to get home?

Only the clock knows how long he's been gone, as for me, I know the storm is over and I'm still here. As if asking for a prayer, which might turn out to be worse. Our car pulls up near me and even with his window up, I can see him talking. He's changed his clothes and his face looks sadder. I did this to him.

He taps on the window, but I'm already looking at him. He rolls it down, "Let's go." Without a moment of hesitation, I walk to the passenger door. Inside, it's warm and soft and I let out a sigh before I do anything else.

He reaches over his seat and tosses a paper bag on my lap, "Eat it while it's still warm. It tastes like shit preheated."

I smile, but he doesn't see. He can be angry at me all he wants. Hell, even I'm pissed at myself. But my stomach is doing somersaults and my heart is racing because despite it all he still came back.

On the road, he speaks again, "Were you out there since I left." I don't answer, letting my silence do the talking. I don't deserve this, Seb. You don't deserve this.

"Fuck." He turns the heat up higher, "Are you warm enough? Sorry I didn't bring a blanket. It was stupid of me to think you would've gone back inside."

I take a deep breath, "I love you, Sebastian."

"I know." He doesn't say anything after that and the future is going to one hellhole of a ride. But if the future is him, I now know I've learned my lesson. My world is nothing without Sebastian.