23

the bell rang, meaning free period. i was in need of this free, i was sick of my classes and school. i definitely needed to take a break. i walked out of my math class and tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear. i walked down the math hallway and then down another hallway. 

i finally got to my locker and quickly opened it. i shoved my math folder into my locker and took out my blue homework folder. i closed my locker and sighed. i started walking towards the side entrance. since it's such a nice day out, i decided to sit outside for my free period.  

"hey avery," chad walked over to me and waved. i waved back and smiled. "do you know where audrey is? i have to ask her something?" he asked, his eyes looking around. i shook my head.  

"did you try texting her?" i asked. he nodded.   "i don't know where she is, sorry chad," i said.  

"it's okay, i'll find her later. thanks anyway," he sighed and walked away. i think chad and audrey like each other. i'll have to ask audrey later about the two of them.  

"avery!" i heard someone shout. i turned around and saw zach. i smiled and he ran over to me.  

"zach," i smiled.  

"hey beautiful. i haven't talked to you in ages, how are you?" he asked. beautiful? i shouldn't make a big deal out of it... he's just being nice. right? right.  

"i'm okay, how about you?" i asked.  

"fine," he smiled. "how come you're only okay?"

"well my mom's in the hospital, and joey and i are sort of on good terms now, but sort of not,"  i said and shrugged.  

"oh, im so sorry about your mom," he said, empathy filling his voice. "if you don't mind me asking, what happened?" zach was so nice, and so cute too, why couldn't i still like him?  

"she got into a car accident, and right now she's in a coma."

"i'm sorry avery," he said.  

"it's ok," i said. "zach, what do you have?" i asked.  

"free," he answer.  

"me too!" i exclaimed and smiled. "i was just about to go sit outside, wanna join me?" i asked.  

"i guess," he joked. i smiled and he smiled back. i pushed open the doors and we sat down at one of the empty tables that were in the court yard.  

"so you know about that hanging out thing," he asked. i nodded. "we should hangout tonight, or this weekend or something."

"well what do you have in mind?" i questioned.  

"i was thinking a movie?"

"that sounds fun," i smiled.  

"so when do you want to go?" he asked.  

"maybe tomorrow?" i asked.  

"sure," he said. i nodded and opened my folder.   "so, can i ask you something? you said something about sort of being on good terms with joey, and sort of not," i nodded slowly.   "do you still like him or something?" i bit my lip. should i tell him? i can't tell everyone, maybe i should lay low. besides, zach and i aren't even that good of friends yet.  

"no, i only want to be friends with him," i responded.  "cause we used to be like best, best friends."

"right," he said and i started to do my homework. "but you don't like him?" zach repeated.  

i set my pencil down and looked up at him. "what's this about zach?" i asked.  

"nothing," he answered quickly, running his hand nervously over his buzz cut head. "you just deserve better, you know?"