Senet

Nothing seemed to disturb the prosperity and peace of the New Kingdom except for the bustle of a crowd gathered around a corner of the palace garden. What interested these men and women of the Pharaoh's court, Khorus did not know. Curios, he approached them to determine the object of their interest. He found out that it was a game of Senet, a native board game.

The most successful player in Senet is believed to be under the protection of the gods. Khorus was surprised to find out that the victor of the game was a lady, the daughter of the Pharaoh who was widely known all throughout the land for her extraordinarily stunning beauty and visage. Likewise, Khorus himself was also renowned in the court for his excellence in the said game.

Consequently, when they took notice of his approach, he was pressed by the crowd to play a game. In the beginning he hesitated but the princess made a request he could not refuse.

​"Would you like to play?" said Nefertari with a smile.

​Thus began the friendship between Nefertari and Khorus. From a simple game of Senet, a bond flourished between the two. As Ra passed the skies, affection between them grew quietly in beauty like a desert flower.

​As the daughter of the Pharaoh Seto and the son of the High Priest, both have been raised in court and are well-versed in literature, writing, grammar, arithmetic and geometry.

Khorus, now a young man of sixteen harvests, was favored by Thoth, the god of wisdom, and distinguished himself as the best scribe in his class. He was selected to be sent to the House of Life where he was to be trained as a priest to take on his father's footsteps. Nefertari, on the other hand, was groomed to be the perfect lady. And even with all the duties they had to do, both cherished the companionship and time they shared.

​Two harvests passed and with it passed the life of the High Priest, and being the only son, Khorus took his place. At the time after his initiation, a large banquet was to be held in the palace in order to celebrate. Great preparations were made; nobles adorned themselves with the finest jewelries, covered themselves in scented oils and placed cone-shaped scented waxes on their heads that melted in the heat of the celebration.

No expense was spared during the feast - rich dishes of butter and cheese, fattened fowl and beef, flavored with various spices and sweetened with honey, figs and other fruits and numerous pastries were served altogether. Wine and beer were also plentiful.

​Nefertari and Khorus were present in the feast. They sat across each other and marveled at the dancers, musicians and acrobats that brightened the festivity. Big smiles were plastered across their faces. The regale seemed merrier.

As they spent time catching up with each other, they silently admitted to themselves that even with the years that passed, the affection they had for each other did not cease. In fact, it grew deeper.

The music and dancing were suddenly put to a stop when the Pharaoh spoke up and demanded the attention of everyone as he was to make a great announcement.

With authority, he spoke, ​"I, Seto I, Ruler of Egypt, Incarnate of Horus, wish to make known the true purpose of this celebration. It is of great happiness that I announce to you all Crown Prince Sheptu and Princess Nefertari's engagement!"

​The announcement was received with a lively applause from the attendants. The celebration resumed and all were elated - all except Nefertari and Khorus.

Though they knew all along that Nefertari would become the wife of the Crown Prince, it was still hardly acceptable. They both felt crestfallen.

Nefertari could not put her mind at peace. She knew she needed a moment of silence so she decided to retire early to her chambers. As she was about to sleep, a servant of hers knocked upon the door.