Chapter 3

The next time I opened my eyes, I was no longer in the crystal like tunnel that is my connection to the times. Instead, I was stalking myself. It sounds strange, but this is probably the fiftieth time I've done this. Every time, we are beat up by Pontius, we go backwards in time to stop ourselves from going there. Thus preventing that thread of time from ever happening. Usually once that happens, our souls are transferred into the new thread of time. I don't pretend to know how it works, because I don't. In fact, I hate time traveling in general. It's why I try to fight my way out. Otherwise it gets to confusing. It doesn't help that I am the only one that remembers what happened. For Noe, the new thread is the only thread she ever knows. So I have nobody to talk it over with. Even if she did remember, I wouldn't. Who could place even more pressure on her fragile shoulders? She was only twelve. Or twelve hundred. Take your pick, because both are true if you think about it.

Our old selves are currently strolling down a forest trail. I remember it clearly. For now, so does Noe. We jog up to them quickly. I want to get this over with. "Hey!" I shout. We turn to face ourselves. Arsinoe looks shocked, but I can only see a look of worry on my own face. "You don't want to go that way, trust me. We got discovered there."

Old me  sighs. It's funny how used to this we are. She nudges our sister and they turn around, heading to a place I am soon to find out, because as soon as they do, Noe kind of ceases to exist. That always happens first. The first time it happened, I got worried. But now, It is somehow reassuring. Next, I am sucked back into the tunnel into a new present.

I am staring at the ceiling. Only this one is made of lush green leaves, and not the horrible white material. I'm going to have nightmares about that for ages. Noe is curled on the bed beside me, asleep still. We must be on a different part of the globe, because it is early morning now, and it was afternoon last. My stomach growls. I haven't eaten in a while. Which means she is hungrier than I am. It's time to hunt.

I get up. I keep what I'm wearing on, but I put on the chunky boots that are by the door. By door I mean overhang of palm leaves. To me this is luxury. I can't say the same about her. I'm hungry for meat, but I don't want to risk soiling my weapons. I grab my swords anyway in case of an ambush, but I doubt I'm going to use them. I'll use other methods.

Once more when In step outside I'm surrounded by trees. A lot of different varieties too, not just conifers. I always set up shelter by trees, but this is more than I could hope for. With different species, comes more food. But first, I need to find water.  Not only for drinking, but where there is water, there is life. AWhere ther's life, there's food. Simple survival rules. Easy. I begin my trek.

There's a general downward slope that I follow. Water flows downward. And true to the rule I stumble upon a gentle little stream. Smiling, I kneel along the muddy bank, and fill the three water skins I carry. One for me, one for Noe, one for quick escapes.  When I finish, I set to work making traps for smaller prey. A few snares I set for rabbits, made with thin but strong strings of sapling wood. A complicated rock trap made with sticks and a large rock. A piece of rotten meat serves as bait. When the trigger stick is pulled on because of the bait, the rock witll crush any creature on impact. This was a technique I learned in the desert, but this is the first time I have tested it.  Until i can find a new bow, this will be my main way of obtaining protein. For now, I pick berries off of a huckleberry bush I found just outside of our shelter. Hopefully it's enough.

I crawl back into the shelter. Arsinoe's sweet face is lightly illuminated, and for a moment I want to let her sleep. But we could have to leave or be ready to fight at any moment, and we need more than just rest to keep up our energy. I gently shake her awake. I hold out a handful of berries to her, and do my best to put on a happy face.

"Morning. Found us breakfast."