Anna (Go To Him)

God fucking damnit. 

He stepped out of Jimmy's Camaro and stared up at the massive church. He always liked this church. Jimmy adjusted his ill-fitting suit and swore when his tie came loose.

"I hate these fucking monkey suits, man," he grumbled.

Taylor stumbled out of the backseat in his tuxedo t-shirt and suit jacket, still drunk from the night before while holding the case of Coors Light they had brought as a wedding gift. Dave laughed a little at how wonderfully redneck they looked, pulling up to a beautiful wedding in a rusted Camaro with tuxedo shirts, skate shoes and a case of beer. Nate had been horrified that morning in the kitchen, carefully wrapping his gift of crystal wine glasses and insisting that he and Kate take their own car to avoid being associated with Taylor, Jimmy, and Dave. Despite the hollow pit in his chest, Dave was happy his best friends were there to help him through the day, drunk or not.

White and pink flowers cascaded down the arched stone doorway where Amy stood at the top of the steps with a scowl on her face. "What the hell are you assholes doing here?" she hissed, reluctantly handing him and his friends programs.

"The bride and groom invited us, you rancid bitch," Taylor said smoothly. "Too bad you didn't make the bridesmaid team. Pretty girls only, right?"

Dave pretended to be interested in the program as he raced inside to avoid laughing in Amy's face. They were fucking mean, but so was she. He could hear Jimmy still in the doorway, holding up the line of guests while hassling her, "Can you smile or is your face just like that now?"

The massive wooden doors were propped open and the sanctuary was filled with people all talking and laughing amongst themselves as they waited for the ceremony to start. Several people noticed him when he walked in and either waved excitedly or shot him a questioning look. He almost immediately spotted his mother and sister near the front and wondered if everyone he knew had been formally invited except him. 

He wanted to be as far away from the aisle and altar as possible, bonus points if some woman in a huge hat were in front of him to completely block his view, but Taylor and Jimmy slid into the pew midway down on the bride's side leaving him just enough space next to the aisle. He reluctantly sat next to Jimmy and instantly began to fidget.

"Fuck, I need a cigarette."

Jimmy checked his watch and shrugged. "You've got time. I'll hold your seat."

Dave quickly found the door to the courtyard where he had escaped to during so many other weddings, though this time felt so much worse. He stood on the stone steps and shoved his hand in his jacket pocket when a blur of white caught his eye. She stood next to a rose bush, examining the blossoms while nervously smoking a cigarette and he spent a moment taking her in, feeling every possible emotion as he did. Her dress was simple, off-white with a delicate skirt and train, showing off the shape of her slender body through the silk. Her long dark hair gently curled down her back with a single layer of silk gauze pinned in the back for a veil. It was simple and elegant, but not at all basic and just so Anna.  He stepped out into the courtyard and she looked up, jumping back in surprise.

"Holy shit you scared me," she gasped when he came closer to her.

"Annie...," his voice cracked and his hand flew to his mouth as if that would hide the impending wave of tears that threatened to mortify him. He had been fine at a distance, but now that he was close to her he felt himself break. "You look... you look great."

"You sound like my dad," she muttered, but her smile gave her away.

He felt himself relax just slightly at her grin. "You do, though. Your dress is perfect."