Chapter Eight

John Pov
The week went by not necessarily quickly but it wasn't dreadful either. On Friday after school, I did find myself sitting on a bench alone in the park.

I took out my phone and looked at the time. I fucking walked here.
Alex drives a motorcycle. I feel like he should be here faster than me.

I put my phone away and groaned, stuffing my head in my hands.

"Hey. Did you think I was gonna flake on you?" Alex said, sitting down next to me.

I took my head out of my hands.
lI was certain." I said.

"Well. You were wrong. Ain't like I got stuff to do anyway." He said, muttering the last bit.

He sighed, scanning the park.
"Why'd you want me here anyway?"
He asked.

"I've told you this countless times.
I.
Need.
Friends."
I said.

He scoffed.
"And out of all people-"

"I choose you. Yes, yes I did. And another thing, what's the tattoo stand for?" I asked.

"The tattoo."
He muttered.

"Yeah. That tattoo on the neck of your neck," I said.

He laughed dryly.
"Trust me, I know where it is."
He said quietly.

I didn't say anything, but I did raise an eyebrow.

"Do you have any guesses to what it means?" He asked.

"..Uh..a girlfriends initials?" I guessed.
He chuckled, shaking his head.

"I wouldn't be that stupid to get a tattoo of a girlfriends initials on the back of my neck." He said.

"You know, I've never had a girlfriend before." He told me.

"What?"
I asked.

"Yeah. I uh..not so great at that.
Most girls hate me or just stay far, far away." Alex said.

"So you're a senior and you've never dated anyone in your life?" I asked.

"I never said that. I said I never had a girlfriend." He elaborated.

"..Boyfriend?"
I asked.

He put up a finger and muttered, "Bingo."

"So it's your boyfriends initials?"
I asked.

"Nope. But it is someone's initials,"
He hummed.

"Is it..
your own initials?"
I tried.

"My name is Alex. Last time I checked, that starts with an 'A'. Not a 'R'."
He said.

"I don't know."
I said in defeat.

"You give up?"
He asked.

I shrugged.
"I guess so."

"Rachel Hamilton. Looking back on it, her last name isn't Hamilton, but I was drunk and sad so being a bastard was the last thing on my mind." He said.

"..Who's Rachel?" I asked.
He sighed.

"You know, you're not as bad as I thought you were Laurens." Alex said, standing up.

I wish I could say the same for you Hamilton," I teased.

He rolled his eyes.
"So..are we friends now?" I asked.

"If you want."
He shrugged.

"Alright," I smiled.
"Friends. See you around." I said.

"Hopefully not!"
He called, walking away.

"Hey! I thought we were friends!"

"Playful banter!"
He shouted back, continuing to walk.

I smiled, grabbing my bag and walking the opposite direction. That wasn't as bad as I thought it would go.

I thought I'd make a fool out of myself, but it wasn't too bad. I walked home, smiling to myself.

Friends, huh? And who would've guessed that Alex had a boyfriend?
He never said who Rachel was, but I assume they're a family member if it's Rachel Hamilton. But..he also said that wasn't their last name so...maybe a cousin? An aunt?

Not sure.

~•~•~•~

I did my speed walk and found myself back at home, collapsed face first in bed.

"Hey John?"
Patsy said, walking into my room. "Yes?" I asked, sitting up.

"Nothing..just wanted to ask if you wanted to watch TV with me." She said.

"I guess so." I muttered, turning on TV. She plopped on my bed and brought her knees to her chest.

"Since you're leaving for college soon..do you want to like..talk and shit?" She asked.

"Patsy! Don't say that word!"
I exclaimed.

She looked at me with a deadpanned face. "I'm almost thirteen. It's not the worst thing I've said. But come on Jack. You can confide in me." She said.

"How bout this, every Friday, I'll tell you something that you can't tell anyone else, okay?" I asked.

I'm only doing this so I'm not a bad big brother. I don't want to go off to college and have my younger sister barely know me.

I opened a cabinet and showed her stale cigs.

"Woah! You smoke?"
She asked.

"Keep your voice down! And, sometimes. Depends on the situation." I said.

She nodded.
"Alright, what do you want to watch?"
I asked.

"Game of Thrones."
She replied.

"Your wish is my command, my lady." I said. She snickered, curling up on my bed.

I'm a good big brother, right?

I'm a good big brother even after Jemmy's accident..
right?