The Boy Next Door- A Niall Horan Fanfic

The memory was so clear everytime I looked at the same face, even now.

"Goodbye Melissa!" My mother had exclaimed, tightly hugging me before I hopped onto the school bus. My first to be exact, the very beginning of my first year.

"Goodbye Mum! With Cody come pick me up?" I asked, turning around on the giant step. I skipped up the stairs into the seating area. I look around for the closet window to my mum, right behind a boy my age. He had brown hair, and blue eyes. He noticed me and smiled. I looked away bashfully.

I took my seat and saw my mom and tears. I grabbed the sleeve of my jumper and clutched on it.

"No, he has football practice. Take the bus again." She explains. I nod and tightened my plaid backpack strap. The wheels slowly began to turn, and I waved out the window. My mother waved back, slightly turning to go back into our house.

I darted my bright green eyes across the room and tugged on my wavy dark brown hair set in braids. I smoothed the wrinkles of the linen of my blue and white checked dress. I bad habitly licked my pale pink lips and itched at my fair skin. I wondered if any one else looked like me.

I studied the students carefully. The first years sat in the front of the bus, eyeing each other thoughtfully as I did. The girl with the curly red hair and freckles, biting her nails. The dark skinned boy, darting his light eyes from seat to seat.

The scenery outside changed into something unfamiliar to me. The Mullingar, Ireland sign faded away. The wheels screeched to a halt in front a large brick building. A wave of excitement flowwed through me. I was at school.

I ran outside and searched for A-1. A sweet lady outside ushered me in a bright, colorful room. I stood over by the rug, as Cody instructed me to. I watched a few people walk in also, including the brunette boy from the bus. He scanned the room, until his gaze met mine. He smiled and waved. I hesitated before waving back, but turned away.

Suddenly, a loud ringing erupted through the room. Cody had also warned me about this, a bell to confirm tardiness. I guessed I was pretty on time.

" I'm Mrs. Valarie. Now, let's assign seats!" The lady sings. I groan under my breath, slightly frusturated that I had to sit next to strangers. "Melissa Abbey, Rebecca Wales, Jackson Harvey and Niall Horan to the table under the blue star."

I located the star proudly hanging over the desks and took a seat. I looked around quietly and assessed  the goods and bads of my seat. Near the windows and door, slightly close to the heater and air conditioner. Also close to the cubbies.

"Ello, I'm Rebecca." The girl next to me smiled, British accent foreign to the usual Irish, or in my case American. Her top left tooth was missing, and her hair loosely falling to her shoulders. Her brown eyes gleamed.

"I'm Jackson." An Irish boy across from me greets, nodding his orange hair and dark eyes.

"Niall." The brunette boy from the bus admits. At least I could call him something.

"Are you Melissa? I'm going to call you Lissa." Rebecca giggles.

"I like that." Jackson agrees. I didn't. It felt odd, and I didn't think you could call anyone something that's not their name.

"Or maybe Mel." Niall suggests, hinting at me. I nodded slightly. It did have sort of a ring to it.

"Then it's settled!" Rebecca giggles. The rest of the class files into their seats. Mrs. Valerie begins to show everyone around the room. I watched closely, taking in every aspect of the room, but am interupted by a loud crunching noise next to me.