Horror Habits

I lay on my bed and watched the television when I got my first text from Niall in years. It almost felt like the old days when the screen read 'Shades up Lis!'. I smiled faintly and sat up to open the blinds. There was Niall, holding a freshly buttered bowl of popcorn and a bunch of movies.

"How about we get started on some healing?" Niall smirks and cocks an eyebrow. I giggle and close my shades. Quickly pulling on my boots, I ran out the door and ran the doorbell.

"Hello?" Mrs. Horan greeted as she opened the door. Her eyes met mine but she soon looked down. Her eyebrows furrowed in consentrtion, trying to render the memories of my familiar face. Suddenly she gazed at me in utter excitement.

"Hi, Mrs. Horan." I smiled gracefully, not knowing exactly what to say to Niall's mom, which I've only seen get the mail ever since the day Niall ditched me.

"Oh, my! Melissa, look how big you've grown! You get more beautiful everyday! You're almost as tall as me. You know, soon you're going to pass me up, and you'll probably pass up Niall, too, and-" Mrs Horan rambles on.

"Mum, we're going to watch a movie now." Niall appears in the doorway, staring at his mom like he did in primary school after she embarassed him.

"Oh, well, don't you mind me then. Have fun you two." She calls. I giggle at the sweet woman who was like a second mother to me.

"Good seeing you again, Mrs. Horan." I called as I started to make my way down the hall.

"You, too, Melissa!" She yells from the kitchen as Niall and I disappear into his room. I grab some pillows from the bed and arrange them against the wall to lay against. Niall grabs a handful of popcorn and raises the movie discs.

"Sinister, or Paranormal Activity?"Niall wonders as he arches his brow and smirks. My stomach knotted as a suggested Paranormal Activity. He nods and sets it to the DVD player and hops on the bed with me. The movie flickers on and I whimper slightly to myself.

Turning towards Niall, I saw his eyes dart around the screen as a dark shadowy figure appears. I grip a pillow tightly, knuckles turning white in the process. My breath quickens as it appears closer on screen, approaching the defenseless girl. My heart pounds in my head as it gets closer, and closer. Finally as his hand reaches across her shoulder I shriek in fright and bury my head into Niall.

"Whoa! You okay?" Niall wonders and turns his head so his mouth becomes close to my temple. I whimper and clutch his hand, squeezing it forcefully.

"I'll take that as a no," Niall assumes. "Hey, it's okay Lis. It's just pretend, make believe. Okay?" He whispers in my ear.

"I guess." I sigh and make little circles in his palm with my hand. Niall lifts my head and rubs my hair awkwardly. I chuckle slightly and rest my head in his shoulder as his arm reaches across my back.

"Hey, Lissa, you've got sweatpants on," Niall begins to sing lightly. I giggle and hum a merry tune that harmonizes with his vocals. "Your hair is tied, and your chilling with no make-up on, and please don't take it wrong," He belts, emphasizing the wrong. "But that's when you're the prettiest, to me." He finishes.

I look into his eyes, which seem to flow with honesty. His beautiful loopsided smile bubbles up, and he blushes slightly. I look back up at his eyes and find him getting slightly closer. I tilt my face forwards and close my eyes, feeling Niall's nose gently press against mine.

Suddenly, he pulls back and I look back up at him. He stares at me confused, and turns back at the movie.

"Popcorn?" He holds up the bucket to my face.

"No thanks." I uttered below my breath, thinking about what just happened. I could not fall in love with my best friend. Again.