CHAPTER 4

Things were different from then on. As time went by, Ernest slowly became warmer and less defensive around Dana, starting to even enjoy the Irish girl's company. She was always laughing, putting an optimistic twist to things even when times seemed the darkest. Ernest heard what everyone was saying about them at school, and often now people would ask if the two of them were dating, to which Dana often preceded him in responding that they were only friends. Occasionally, the two would go on strolls around town together. Despite Ernest feeling reluctant at the idea of being around Dana's parents for too long, he quickly came to appreciate them. 

Maylin Byrne, Dana's mother, was always kind and attentive towards him. She managed to be caring and curious enough to inquire about things concerning him, without being too intrusive and putting him in embarrassing situations. Her hair was even redder than her daughter's. She was a tall, fine woman with dark, intelligent blue eyes. Dana's father, on the other hand, was a lot closer to his daughter temper wise. He was always joking around and bringing gayness to the household, and Ernest found himself quite comfortable in his presence. Tall, with brown hair, green eyes quite similar to his daughter's, and glasses, Roger Byrne was quite the character, and although his wife would sometimes scold at him for being so exuberant, you could easily tell that he still made her melt just as much as the first day they met. Often times he envied the ambiance in the Byrne household. Dana and her family seemed so close, and they appeared to love each other so much...compared to his own situation, this seemed almost alien-like to him, so much joy and sympathy within a household.

Dana, for her part, always made sure that Ernest felt included. She'd often mention and bring the conversation back to him, she invited him to participate when he (too often) tended to revert back to his initial shyness, and most of all, she was there for him. Dana was the type of person who made it seem like the world might not be such a disgusting place after all.

Ernest remembered some of the conversations they'd had lying on her bed, or while simply watching TV. Sometimes Dana would talk about the rest of her family; at other times she'd describe Ireland, and her life there. Occasionally she asked Ernest about his own condition, despite seeing that he'd rather forget it all together.

"Why don't your mother and you ever talk?" She inquired.

"Ever since my first transformation, she stopped talking to me. I was six back then. I do remember her playing with me before that, though."

"All this because you're a werewolf? Does it not matter that you're her only son?" Ernest shrugged at this point, staring at Mr.Muffins, Dana's purple toy rabbit, which was lying carelessly at the other end of the bed.

"Apparently not. It's just that she's afraid of me though. I can understand that, I mean...were it not for the locks on my door and her own, I'd have probably killed her by now." Dana rolled to the side, resting her head on her right hand while looking up at him.

"Her protecting herself on a full moon is one thing, but I still find it disgusting that she'd ignore you the rest of the time. What, does she think it's your fault that you're this way?! It's not like you chose it! If she has to hate something, it should be the transformation, not you." Ernest didn't respond, instead choosing to look down and crack his fingers.

"Were you ever bitten? Is this how you became a werewolf? Because if not, it might have been passed on by your father, and that'd be why she didn't stay with him. Hell, maybe she blames you for what she believes to be her 'biggest mistake', AKA having sex with him, or falling for him, even."

Ernest considered this while walking next to his high school's gymnasium. They had an indoor pool with actual competitions going on in there for whoever enjoyed swimming (that definitely didn't include him, as he despised water for anything else but a shower and for pure survival purposes). The teen leaned against one of the walls. From where he was he could see people enter and exit the building, without necessarily being seen himself; a definitive plus for someone victim of frequent bullying.