Part Four: Bandeyaa ...Tu muh morh ke na jaa

The Duty Manager, Mr Gupta, was just about to knock on Ishita's door when she flung it open, almost knocking him over in the process.

"Madam" Mr Gupta was saying urgently. "Woh aap ka mehmaan. Wahan barf mein akele..."
(Madam your visitor. He's there alone, in the snow...)

His voice trailed off as Ishita brushed past him, running towards her husband.

The snowy landscape was eerily quiet as Ishita ran blindly up the path, fear accelerating her steps, followed by Mr Gupta.

Errant flakes of snow still fell from the leaden skies and settled on her as she stumbled to a halt before the inert form on the bench.

He was still. So very still, slumped over upon himself, his black clothes and hair now covered with white flakes, blending into the snow beside and below him.

She fell to her knees before him, unheeding of the wet icy ground. Slowly, gently, numb with fear, she put a shaking hand on his shoulder.

"Raman" she whispered. There was no response.

Her heart in her mouth, she gently shook his shoulder. There was no response, but thankfully, he did not slump any further. Her courage rising, she shook his shoulder again, harder this time. With her other hand, she gently cupped his face, bowed as it was.

"Raman" she said urgently, louder. "Raman, please" A sheen of tears covered her eyes, blurring her vision but she could feel the icy coldness of his face with her fingers.

"Murugan please" she prayed silently. "Please"

And then blessedly, to her utmost relief, he slowly lifted his head. His bloodshot eyes gripped her with their intense gaze just as Mr Gupta arrived huffing behind her.

"Madam"

That third voice broke the silence that stretched between the silent man on the bench, and the terrified woman kneeling before him.

She looked over her shoulder at the manager, not slackening her grip on Raman.

"Gupta ji, please, meri help kijiye"
(Guptaji please help me)

Together with the manager, she helped her silent unresisting husband to his feet, supporting him as they walked slowly toward the lodge.

"Guptaji, aap please aage ja kar fireplace mein aur lakhdi daliye. Aur kuch brandy whisky hoga toh please."
(Gupta ji, please go on ahead and put more wood in the fire. And if you have any brandy or whisky please)

"Ji theek hai madam"
(Yes, fine, Madam)

Mr Gupta's eyes were full of curiosity, but to his credit he did not give voice to his questions, gliding away to do as she had asked.

She did not say anything to him as she supported him to the lodge. She was so furious with him that she wanted to slap him, and so relieved that she wanted to hold him close and never let him go. She could not believe that he could be so irresponsible. He was still recovering from being poisoned , and now this.

He was silent too, letting her support him, leaning on her as her warmth seeped through into his frozen soul.

******************************
The room was warm, the fire blazing and Mr Gupta standing with a tumbler and a half bottle of whisky when Ishita assisted Raman into her guest suite.

She helped Raman down onto the sofa in front of the fire, and then turned to the Manager, taking the drink from him.

"Thank you Gupta ji. Ab mein sambhal loongi."
(Thank you Guptaji. I'll handle things from here)