Prologue/Intro

Intro

Clove

No eyes are fluttering as I check everyone's faces to make sure they're asleep. Then I carefully creep over to where Cato is sleeping with that sick Glimmer drooling all over his arm.

I will kill her first, I swear to God. She's all looks and no skill. I close my eyes hard as jealousy hits my gut again like a sucker punch.

Will killing her stop the punch if Cato's not here after she's gone?

Because I'm killing Cato... Am I really doing this? Should I be doing this? Yes. I haven't spent the last week arguing with myself and the night to be having cold feet now.

Career up Clove!

I grip Glimmer's boots and drag her away to a nearby tree, sneering at how heavy of a sleeper she is. What does Cato see in her!?

Turning around using a light step I tread over again to where he's sleeping. I kneel down, cringing when the dirt crunches under my knees, to where his head is on his jacket.

His sleeping face stops me instantly. It's so peaceful, it almost makes me forget about all the flirting with Glimmer, him ignoring me, and everything that has happened. So handsome, and so strong. I think thats why I feel sI safe whenever I spot him. This is a picture of a gentler and more angelic Cato.

For the first time I have an urge to stroke his face, starting at his blonde eyebrows at how they arch over his eyes. Tracing the smooth sides of his head. Smoothing the hair by his ears. Touching his high hard cheekbones. Stroking his soft blonde hair smushed by his dull red jacket. Down to his slightly chapped lips, a too perfect rose color. I wonder how they would feel against my own.

His hair frames his face in a way that makes him so ruggedly handsome, unlike any of the guys I've met, but that's not the only thing that makes him Cato.

It happens again. Like all the times before I'm starting to list all the reasons why I feel so drawn to him. The feeling pulls my heart down in dread but also feels like I'm floating the clouds at the same time.

This needs to stop. I can't kill him if I'm making up lists of excuses as to why I SHOULDN'T kill him.

Lists of why I SHOULD kill him need to be in my head right now:

1.) He is my biggest threat, he's the biggest threat to anybody in the arena.

2.) If he is gone the crown is mine and then my life will be complete with, finally, no more Training.

3.) This is the weakest moment I will ever find him.

4.) After he is gone Glimmer will be an easy kill, Marvel is too dumb evade me, Katniss... She'll die because I'm too angry at her and when that happens with me and somebody things do not end in that person surviving, Thresh is big but slow I can take him as long as I go from a distance, and Lover Boy will die without Katniss.

5.) Seems like I've already got a plan.

6.) With my feelings going the way they are... It will be impossible to kill him if I go one more day like this with him.

So, I reach into my boot and grip the knife I concealed there earlier. Slowly, I bring it up to his throat ,making sure he's still asleep, ready to slice. I remember the lessons about cautiousness back home, if you're sneaking up on someone. Breathe in, hold, constrict your muscles, and...

*Whoosh*!

Suddenly and abruptly he turns over to the right, and I panic, losing my balance. I squeal a bit and fall to the left crashing onto the soil, my adrenaline coursing through me like fire.