Our Choices

As an angel of Heaven, Jeonghan had witnessed God creating the universe, humans and animals, Hell and Heaven. And times passed after that Creation. 

Mephistopheles, however, was a myth to him.

Jeonghan never actually saw or witnessed the demon in action and from what he could gather, the demon was well known in Germany. To them he was the Devil. And that was the best place to start with. 

Narrowing it down to a forest no one ever goes into anymore, Jeonghan stood among the trees, well aware of the ominous aura that came from everywhere. He looks down when something cracks and shiver runs down his spine when he sees a bone. A human bone, to be precise.

Suddenly, he feels a cold wind blow that pushes him forward. It's a force, meaning there's someone behind it, meaning Jeonghan found the one he was looking for.

"Mephisto!" Jeonghan yells while trying to stand still. "Show yourself!"

For a moment Jeonghan believes his words are lost in the noise but the wind suddenly stops. Jeonghan looks around frantically, expecting to see some kind of abnormality standing dressed in black and looking like it came for his soul.

But what he sees is a middle-aged man, indeed dressed in a black suit, with a cane and a face that told him how unimpressed he was.  He sighs and walks slowly towards Jeonghan.

"My, have the mighty fallen." Jeonghan is actually afraid to answer, he's afraid of this man's power. He stands in front of the angel with a wide grin. "It feels like, bringing a Samoyed to a pig farm. Something so clean, pure..." Jeonghan stares into his eyes, refusing to give in. "Becomes filthy." There's a sneer in his voice.

"I need your help."

"Of course you do." Mephistopheles chuckles. "No one ever came here without a wish or a demand. But what's important is my wish. I need something in return, angel."

Jeonghan takes a small step back from him. "What do you want?"

The man shrugs. "Nothing right now. But I'll need something later. In a few decades, centuries maybe."

"Fine. Now, my demands." 

Mephisto looks at Jeonghan with an amused smile. "I hope, for your sake, that they're not related to the current mayhem in Hell."

Jeonghan's eyes widen. "So you know what happened in Hell? Can you tell me?"

"Is that your demand?" Mephisto chuckles, his head dipping forward, giving a threatening smirk to the angel. He's waiting and Jeonghan feels stupid for letting his guard down.

The angel swallows a lump in his throat and rearranges his priorities in his head. His heart throbs as he looks the devil in the eye.

"I want you to find out the culprit behind the war in Hell and bring Seungcheol to me."

Mephistopheles hums. Then he nods. Jeonghan thinks it's settled but the devil looks up again. 

"That's rather time consuming. Settling for your soul is not quite a price for my efforts." He starts walking around the trembling angel. "If you have only your soul to offer then you have to choose one of those demands."

Mephisto stops and glances at him in the corner of his eye. "Unless you have someone else's soul to offer."

Jeonghan closes his eyes, not believing he has to make a choice.

How is he supposed to choose?

Seungcheol or the war?

Jeonghan's heart splits into two piece as he forces himself to choose.