Part 16

An exhausted Sebastian forced himself to rise.

Hands and sweater, soaked in blood, he sauntered to the sink to rinse off the blood the best he could. Thankfully his sweater was dark, and the blood stain wouldn't be noticeable. The blood flowed down the sink in an eerily slow manner and started to stain. Sebastian used his towel to make sure no evidence was left, and he threw it in the washer.

Jaden and he spent the following twenty minutes scrubbing the floor and countertops clean. They scrubbed in silence but the air was misty with tension. Thoughts ran through the heads of both of them, but neither said a word.

Once everything was clean, they both returned to their rooms before their mother arrived from work.

Jaden curled up on her bed clutching a pink pillow to her chest. Too many worries were going through her head, and she couldn't focus on homework at the moment. She stabbed her brother. Yeah, he was ok, but if he wasn't... if her theory hadn't been correct, then he would be in serious trouble.

The next room over Sebastian sat in his chair at his desk, hovering over his AP Calculus homework. He twirled the pencil between his fingers in thought, writing and solving each equation with ease. That was something Jaden had always admired about her brother. Despite all of the chaos in his surroundings, he would easily be able to adapt to any situation and focus on what was truly important.

Sebastian spent hours slaving over his work, perfecting each equation and meanwhile studying for his upcoming exams. He stayed up until 1:34 am, and by the time he needed to go to bed his eyes started to burn.

He shuffled quickly to the bathroom mirror and checked his eyes. He had forgotten to take his contacts out. That was his main problem, but when he went to reach to take them out, he saw his eyes glow.

His eyes started to sting and Sebastian inwardly panicked, rushing to take his contacts out. When he took them out and looked in the mirror, however, the light had not dimmed.

His dark irises illuminated with a fiery red and the whites of his eyes were bloodshot. His head ached and he dropped to the ground. His breath quickened and he started to shake, he clenched the sink rug.

Sebastian felt anger erupt in his body, he gritted his teeth and shot his hand out to hold on to the sink counter. He struggled to pull himself up and that's when it happened.

The skin on his back ripped apart, freeing a pair of magnificent wings. Sebastian screamed in pain, a tear ran down the side of his face, his knuckles white, as he gripped the sink. White feathers tore from his back and the wings expanded, so large they became cramped in the small room, knocking over shampoo and soap bottles. Sebastian shook with fear, his heart beating faster he couldn't breathe. He fell, passing out, he was enveloped by heavenly wings.

Small detached feathers floated down and caressed his feverish and fear broken body.

——————————

James was awake.

His eyes dry from fatigue and his body aching from strain. He sat on his bed staring at the ceiling thinking about one person. From the first day he had seen him, their face wouldn't get out of his brain.

James stayed up all night, not touching an inch of his school work, he had grabbed his paints, his brushes, and stole away to his secret haven. A room filled with his paintings. All their colors bleed through and expressed his moods.

James grabbed a large empty canvas and placed it propped against a low easel. He sat on the ground, staring at the blank sheet in silence.

He squinted in discomfort and reached for a vinyl CD. He placed it on the nearby record player and it spun.