Eins - Seclusion

It is of no surprise that loneliness tends to be a shared emotion between the members of our species. Loneliness is that which drives us to desire and wish to be with one another; without its engulfing presence, we would find no urge to share the physical and emotional aspects of ourselves to partners which we desire.

  Humans, being naturally social creatures, feel this emotion to the fullest of its extent; seclusion from society might push one to manic thought processes, and in more regrettable cases, to thoughts of harm.

    In short, a lack of human interaction leaves one... Starved.

    The type of interaction you seek, and the quantity thereof, all depends on the individual. People-pleasing extroverts may find social outings a necessary component to everyday life, whilst more reserved and self-fulfilling introverts may find it to be nothing more than a pleasant surprise, if not considered a hindrance.

    Additionally, there exists the quality over quantity argument. Simply stated, some would prefer a true friend, a clean, bank-fresh $100 bill, over 20 individual $5 bills. Again, this all depends on the type of person in question, as the opposite may pertain to whoever is in question.

    Social seclusion is just one fragment within the realm of loneliness, tied very closely with its counterpart, sexual seclusion.

[I watched with a primal hunger in my eyes as I slowly, teasingly ran my hand up the younger man's thigh, a faint grin of satisfaction gracing my features as I watched him shiver under my frigid touch.]

    As a gay man, I often find myself wondering, "What is it that draws me to these types of stories?", and while I may not yet have the answer, there is a thought pattern I decided I'd follow.

    It seems as though, along with social inclusion, we desire intimacy in our lives (excluding those of asexual orientation, or anything related). Stories provide a sense of voyeurism into the life of a person, a chance to feel and experience what the characters feel and experience. Perhaps that is why some people prefer erotic novels to pornography; it offers a much more real, tangible romance, lust, what have you, than two (or more) impossibly pristine models having their raunchy way with each other. Novels provide insight into a journey unprecedented by the readers, provide descriptions not only of the sex, but of the journey to it. It satisfies our social and sexual needs, to some minor extent.

There is a beauty, in a sky without stars, that reflects in your eyes