Chapter 2

chap two :) enjoy!

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

I take one last look at my mom before stepping down on the concrete steps, giving her a smile. She quickly wipes her hands under her eyes and smiles back, waving a stiff wave at me. 

I'm going to live on my own.

Well technically I'm not, since there are going to be people living under the same roof, but that's not what I meant. I have a feeling as though I'm going to feel emotionally and socially alone. I've been with my mother for so many years, and not to mention that it's awkward to live with people you don't know. Will it be the same as having a college roommate, meeting them for the first time? Of course, roomates get to know each other and for the most part, everything turns out fine. Hopefully, it can be the same outcome for me. It has to.

I reach the bottom of the stairs with my suitcase clicking behind me, and I see the driver semi-jog towards me. 

It wasn't until now that I noticed that he's much older than I thought he would be. He had a white beard that stopped where the collar of his shirt was. His mustache also matched in color, and seemed as though they are twisted at the ends.

Classy.

His eyebrows looked well groomed, despite the bushiness. You can tell that he was a happy person throughout his life by the lack of fine lines in his frown area, as more of them seem to appear on the sides of his eyes. He's wearing a top hat that had a white lining on the rest area, and was the color black.
As a matter of fact, everything he was wearing was black.
He was also wearing a long trench coat, which confused me a little. A trench coat...in the spring? But hey, who am I to question?

I was immediately caught off guard when he reached for my suitcase.

He noticed my stiffness when his hand touched the sides, and looked up at me.

He had a flash of confusion across his face, as if my reaction hardly happens.

He smiled at me. "It's okay, Miss Hemphings. I'm just going to put your luggage in the back of the car."
My eyes unknowingly glance at the car, only to make another discovery that it was a black, 2016 Lexus LS. Wow. Having countless of car calenders that my mom used to bring home kind of made me a semi-car knower. 

I relaxed once I realized how ridiculous I seemed. I had no reason to tense up, but it was probably because of how rare this amount of respect a stranger was showing to me.

I let go of the handle and smile back. "O-Of course, thank you." He nods, takes my suitcase, and rolls it to the back of his car. I bring my shoulders up and down, keeping my arms at my side. I decided to walk over to the car, and lift up my hand to open the car door. 

"No no Miss Hemphings, wait!" I hear him exclaim. I freeze and frown in confusion, not knowing why he was so frantic.

He rapidly shut the trunk, and hurries over to my side.

"I'll open the door for you." he says, as he opens the door. It seems as though I forgot drivers like him existed, as I was used to taxi drivers in NYC expecting you to let yourself in.

I thank him, and carefully lower myself to the seat. He lightly closes the door, and hurries over to the driver's side.

It smells so...fancy in here. Am I allowed to say that? I immediately start looking around the car, just fascinated by it. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but I haven't been inside a decent car in a long time. I felt almost a dash of nostalgia from the scent of cologne in the car. My hands feel around the textured beige leather seat, as well as the manual controls that rests in between the two seats that looks to be control buttons.
I could definitely get used to this.