Chapter 1

"Happy 7th birthday Emily!"

My mom said as she cracks an egg into the batter.

"I'm making your cake, now go on and brush your teeth. I've prepared your favorite breakfast!"

My heart races at the thought of what she has made.

"What is it?" I say
"I'll tell you after you brush your teeth. Go on!"

I wonder if she'll ever stop putting me in suspense. I go back upstairs to brush my teeth. After rushing through that, I came back downstairs to find a plate of chocolate chip pancakes, steaming like they were just taken off of the stove.

My mom was like my twin. We loved the same things, and had the same sense of humor! But my dad was a little different. I don't really know him that well. He fights with my mom a lot and tends to act really weird all the time. I was eavesdropping on day when my moms friends were over. They started to talk about how it's bad that I'm always around a "drunk" of a father. I don't really understand what that meant but I took it as it was a bad thing. My dad is kind of mean though. I barely even get to see him a lot.

But my mom is all I need. She had work the day of my birthday. She always had work. But I love my babysitter. Her name is Carly. She loves to play dolls with me and takes me to fun places. I always spend most of my birthday there.

After I ate my amazing breakfast, the cake was about done and already in the fridge to decorate tonight with mom. I'm super excited. But I have to get ready for my special day so of course my mom helps me pick out an outfit.

She calls me her little diva sometimes. I love it when she does. I eventually agreed on wearing a pink shirt and some jeans. And of course I have to add on my pink tiara. Mom looks at her watch and has a worried look.

"We're late! Come on Emily! We have to get to Carly's by 8:00 or I'm going to late for work! Come on let's go!"

And with that we were out the door. The roads were icy today and mom says that we have to take it slow. I love having a winter birthday. I get to play in the snow!

But things start to get even slower as a blizzard appears out of nowhere. After five minutes of intense snow and wind, mom starts to have a worried look on her face.

"We have to pull over sweetheart, I can't see a foot in front of me."

Even though I'm seven, I know that we're on the speedway, and this is sort of dangerous. But I have high hopes because mom knows what's best for me.
I start to unbuckle my seatbelt and she says

"No. I don't want you getting out of your seat. Now please buckle back up."

As I buckle up I hear skidding noises. As I turn to my mom I hear a big crash, and everything went black.