And So We Begin

It was a bitter winter night, and the sky was dark, the wind was surprisingly still. I knew something was wrong, and was going to happen. My gut told me. But, like most days, I just ignored it. And it's because of my wife.

I had sat at the kitchen table that morning, newspaper in my left hand and toast in the other. My coffee was going cold beside me. The crumbs on my plate tumbled down my uniform. I looked up from my paper.

"There's been more missing children." I stated. Everyone at the station had been saying it was a mass trafficking system.

"So the news said." My wife replied. Our oldest daughter, Madalynn, was upstairs, headphones probably on. And our youngest, Baelynn, was sitting on the floor in the living room, watching the tv. Her neglected cereal sat beside her.

"Something is going to go wrong today. I feel it in my gut." I continued. I knew that Madalynn would be okay, as she was going away camping with her Girl Scout group. Just to a nearby forest. Baelynn would be home with my wife.

Nicole ignored me. "You're going to be late."

I looked at my watch. 8.05 am. "Shit."

——————

Upon reaching the police station I worked at, I noticed a.. melancholic tension surrounding the place, and like many things that day, I ignored it.

I scurried to my station and dealt with various calls throughout the day.

All was going normal, until around 5 or 6pm later on that evening.

I picked up the call, "911, what's your emergency?"
And my ears met with a young girl, crying. "Hello miss?" I asked.
"Help. There's a man outside. And he's staring at us. At me and my brother." The girl said. She must have been around 11 years old.
"Well, can you describe the man?" I asked. This seemed normal so far.
"He's tall. He's really tall. And- and he has long legs and long arms..."
"Yes..?"
"A-and hes wearing a black suit, with a red tie. And a white shirt.."
"What else?"
The girl screamed, "he has no face! He- he has no face! There's no eyes or nose or mouth. His face is white and smooth!"
At this point, I stopped writing, "what?"
The girl was bawling at the other end. I was skeptical at first.
"Okay, Miss. Can you get your brother and take him to the bathroom and lock the door? Emergency services are on their way."
She called her brothers name. "I can't! He's just- staring outside. His eyes are completely white! He's staring at the man!"