Part 4: It happened

Avery had never played with my hair before because it was too short, it was always me fiddling with hers. But mine had grown to a reasonable length, and she asked if she could maybe try and braid it. I never liked people playing with my hair, but I reluctantly agreed and smiled at her. She smiled back and of course, I couldn't help focusing on that dimple and adorable smile. She tells me to turn around and face the window while she finds a hair tie. So I follow her instructions, and wait patiently. She comes and starts tugging on my hair, and I feel sharp fangs of pain all around my scalp but I kept quiet. Suddenly, she gasps, and I panic.
"What is it!?". She stayed silent. I slowly turn around, and I can't believe what I see. I rub my eyes, and keep blinking, but it's real. Her hands are filled with purples and pinks, bright blues and yellows. Colours all over her palms. I don't say anything, but my heart is skipping every beat. I run to my mirror on the wall. My hair! My hair... It's so colourful... Covered in oranges and greens, pinks, purples, and yellows, light and dark blues. I turn around and look at Avery. We both know what's just happened, but can't say a word. I'm starting to panic. What's she going to say? What do I say? We're best friends, it's no-homo soulmates! Right...? The whole handprint thing is about finding your soulmate, of course, but it's about relationships, whether they're gay or straight, whether you're asexual and it's a non-sexual relationship, it doesn't matter. It's about finding your soulmate, not your best friend. Then she whispers; "I was hoping..."
"What?" I mumbled. I don't understand.
"I like you." I can see how scared she is, I know her well. I can recognise that worried smile anywhere.
"No you don't" I giggles nervously, but my heart is beating faster than you can imagine, and I'm starting  to wonder. What if she does?
"Well I guess we're soulmates..." she mumbles. She's even more terrified now, it's obvious.
"I like you too."