Prologue

Deserted. Gloomy. Dark. A terrible combination. There weren't any lights except for my headlights that illuminated the road ahead.

What makes it worse is the fact that it's raining bullets and I'm in the middle of the woods and these stupid windshield wipers are not helping. The road is slippery, one false move and I'm a goner. No one will see or hear of me again because they'll find my dead carcass in my flipped over car that probably burned to a crisp.

That was morbid... Think happy thoughts Noah...

I don't even know where I'm going. I'm just driving.

Thunder clapped overhead and my dog let out a small whimper as he curled up in the backseat.

"It's okay, Ryder. We'll be there soon." I said reassuringly as I turned around briefly to pet him. I hope... Wherever there is...

I returned my attention to the road and slammed on my brakes as I saw a figure of a woman stumble out of the woods and collapse in front of the car. A dog followed closely behind her, curling up protectively next to her on the ground.

So much for soon...

I unbuckled my seatbelt and grabbed my gun out the glove compartment and stepped out the car into the cold, pouring rain, pulling my jacket closer to my body. I took out my phone, ready to call the paramedics, but there's no service. Wait I can't call the authorities! I'll blow my own cover.

Great... What now... I can't just leave her here...

I carefully approached the woman and the dog who let out a low growl. It kind of looked like a Pharaoh hound but a little different with glowing yellow eyes. I held out my hand to show that I meant no harm. He also wore a green collar with a tag that said Orion.

"It's okay, I won't harm you or her, Orion." I said quietly.

He stood up from his position to sniff my hands, then he let out a small whine as he nudged the woman with his snout.

I knelt down to get a better look at this person to realize that this is indeed a woman. An expensively dressed woman wearing some kind of pale green silk dress that has been torn up and muddied. She was covered in multiple scratches and cuts as far as the eye could see. Upon her head is some kind of halo crown that's made of...

Oh my goodness!!!

REAL GOLD AND EMERALDS?!

WHO ARE YOU?!

More importantly what happened to you?

There was howling in the distance which worried me. But what worried me more was the animalistic growling that sounded from the nearby woods which caught my attention even more. Orion stood up baring fangs.

I can't leave her out here... Whoever she is...

I scooped her up in my arms, she's surprisingly light, and I carried her to the passenger side, struggling to open the door, but I managed. I buckled her in and reclined the seat and closed the door.

I opened up the back door for him to hop in with Ryder who happily welcomed company.

Hurrying back to the driver's side, I hopped in and locked the doors, gripping the steering wheel tightly.

I looked at the strange, white haired woman next to me and sighed.

What am I getting myself into?