Chapter 1

<Past>

The strange men got here at approximately 3 a.m on the 16th of December,1994. They said that all they wanted to do was help, I didn't believe them. So I ran, I ran from the place I once new as home, the place I grew up and the place that my now dead family owned. That house was mine now but I hardly thought I would claim it.

I didn't know where i was going, only that I was never going to return to that wretched place. I just ran, I ran till my feet refused. eventually my mind subconsciously led me to my best friends house, the only person who ever supported me when I was about to fall, the only person who I could talk to without worrying what their reaction would be. I rapped my bruised knuckles on the door, praying to God that she was home. When I saw who opened the door I completely broke. I failed at my sorry attempt to keep my composure. My knees buckled and I fell to the ground weeping. I silently cursed myself for acting so weak in front of my only friend, but I couldn't help it, the sorrow and fear built up inside of me for seven years finally gushed out of my eyes like a pipe that sprung a leak.

" What happened?" Josie asked me, her voice filled with concern, and her face looking down at me as she bent to embrace me in a hug. That hug was one of the most comforting things I had experienced in at least five years. She brought me inside to seat me at her kitchen island. Everything was exactly the same as it was two years ago when I last saw her.

It took me at least one hour to relay all that happened the past seven years, telling her all the times that she was so close to learning that I was being abused by my entire family, all of the times I had to conceal my current situation at the time from her and how much it hurt me to do so. But I just couldn't tell her my biggest secret.

She began apologizing for all the times she overlooked my feelings and focused on hers, which is exactly what I didn't want too happen. I wrapped my arms around her as it was obviously comforting both of us,being in each other's company made us happy, it made us both feel whole again having lost all our family.

I ended up staying there for the rest of the year, and the one after that and then the one after. We both grew so close that we weren't family,we weren't friends but something much more. It scared me because that's exactly how my family died.

*Flashback*

All my family couldn't stand it anymore. They couldn't bear seeing me on the ground weeping and writhing in pain from my father's most recent attack. They crowded behind me and my brothers picked me up and put me behind my aunt, uncle ,mom and them. They all faced my dad and said" Dad we wont tolerate you abuse of your very own son," my eldest brother said " That's something that only sick, cowardly people do to make themselves feel good," I was scared out of my mind, not for me but for my family. My father was a crazy deranged man and he would stop at nothing to get me. My father sneered at my brother and let out a guttural cry and charged my brother with a serrated knife in hand.

'I had no other choice' I told myself when the bullet landed in between my father's eyes, the barrel of a handgun smoking in my hands.

Half an hour later was when the men arrived and claimed they were going to help. I saw them take blood from all of my family then ask for a sample from me. I had no choice, again. and ten minutes later I ran to Josie's.

*Flashback end*

One cursed day Josie got home from the Grocery and I asked her to sit for some very urgent and important news I had for her.

"Josie, you have given me much needed and appreciated hospitality and i am the most grateful man for it," I wiped a tear from her cheek. "but lately I've been thinking, I want you to be happy and I know that you think you are happier when I'm here but I've seen the bags under you eyes,"

"Me being here is putting you in extreme danger," she cut me off. " Well then we'll deal with the danger together, right?" she said hopefully. Her soft brown eyes desperately trying to discern the truth from me. Her wavy black hair gently caressing her shoulders. I shook my head and shed a lonely tear. "I've been seeing the same men who came to my house after my family died around, their keeping an eye on me," Choking on these last few words, both knowing the will be that last ones she will hear come out of my mouth for a very long time. " I want to see you smile, I want to see you safe and we both know that means I'll have to leave,"

I walked out of one of the only places I'll find sanctuary. After shedding a few tears, I steeled my nerves and walked away. I turned around felling a pair of eyes on my back and waved to the only person who accepted me, crying. She called out my name and smiled the biggest smile I saw her crack. I quickly pulled out my phone and took a picture promising to never lose it.

<Present>

"What do you think of the plan,Ghoul," A man said. I recognized his voiceand matched it to that of The Agencies' Director, Aurthur. " I think I don't care," I said as I heard a few gasps. " Because you and I both know I'll finish this on my own. I got up and stormed away still not forgetting them bringing me here to work for them unwillingly.