Chapter 7

I grip onto the handle of my bag and run as fast as my legs can carry me. I’ve already been late to four meetings counting, and that’s only for the first month on the job. I don't suggest being late to five meetings makes me a bad worker, right? Stepping inside, my shoes click against the tile of the floor. I let out a huge sigh of relief. Perfect timing.

            A familiar face at the service desk looks up and smiles at me. “Hello, Miss Watson. Just on time with a couple minutes to spare.”

            “Hi Misses Landon,” I grin back, pushing my hair aside. “I had to rush big time this morning.”

            “Alarm clock didn’t go off?”

            I chuckle. “I think it’s about time I got a new one.”

            She laughs, nodding in agreement. “They’re in the same room, as usual, Dani.”

            “Awesome,” I say, adjusting the handle of my bag. “And thanks, Misses Landon.”

            “Oh, uh, and before you go!” she says suddenly. “I think something’s going on with the boys. They were acting, erm, strange.”

            “Strange, eh?” I mutter. Well, that’s nothing new. “I’ll figure it out.”

            I speed walk down the hallway, disappearing out of sight. Passing multiple doors, I stop at room number 12. I place my hand on the cool metal doorknob. Laughing and shuffling is heard from behind. I press my ear against the door.

            “If you don’t do it, we’ll tell her ourselves,” I hear Liam say loudly.

            “C’mon, guys. Seriously?”

            Multiple voices sound at once.

            Twisting the door knob quickly, I peak inside and see the boys fooling around again.

            All their heads shoot up.

            “There you are!” Zayn says happily. “Hey, look, guys, Dani’s here!”

            His voice like he’s tugging on a secret.

            I give him a suspicious look. “What’s going on guys? Your strangeness scared Misses Landon again.”

            “Oh, nothing!” Niall says, raising his eyebrow. “We were just excited to see you.”

            I roll my eyes and throw my bag onto the conference table. “You guys see me every day. What’s going on?”

            Everyone laughs and glances at each other, exchanging looks.

            “Nothing’s going on, it’s just…” Louis glimpses at the others.

            Liam chuckles. “Can we just put him out of his misery, lads?”

            All the boys laugh except one. My eyes narrow at Harry, who’s swiveling in his chair, side to side in utter misery.

            “Curly, what’s going on?” I say, sitting across from him.

            He refuses to make eye contact with me.

            “Yeah, Haz, what’s going on?” Zayn says teasingly.

            Louis pokes Harry’s cheek. “Tell us, Harry.”