Not Exactly The End

So I repaired him, his leg would be a little stiff for a while, but he'd be up and walking again in about two months. Sitting on my shoulder we both attended the flower ceremony with Irene every now and then casting us looks with an impassive face. I didn't have the heart to tell Sherlock that was her way of saying best wishes, it felt like kind of thing that I wasn't supposed to tell. A bridge between old friends that refused to fall even if no one crossed it anymore.

Anyway, the ceremony was lovely and for a little while I actually felt like I belonged. Evening fell and the sky soon became decorated with stars, everyone went to bed after that but I stayed out and gazed upon them with a thoughtful smile. "What a beautiful sight."

"I can think of a better one."

I turned my head to see Sherlock a few feet away, smiling softly. Returning it, I lowered my hand so he could hop in and leap up to my shoulder, pausing to peck my cheek. Scarlet jumped to my cheeks.

"So...how do you think this could work?" He wasn't being very clear but I knew exactly what he was talking about. "I could always visit the garden everyday-" "But I still wouldn't be able to hold you. You know, some years back I heard this legend that if a gnome takes a leap of faith they could become whatever they want to be." It took me a moment to catch on, when I did I could've sworn everything in my body stopped moving.

"You mean, commit suicide? You'd break yourself, beyond even my repair, you can't do that!" I grabbed him with both hands and held him in front of my face.

"Sherlock, promise me you'll never try something so risky. I don't want to lose you." He looked shocked for a moment before slowly smiling and stroking my cheek with one small clay hand. "I promise, my love." I smiled before placing a gentle kiss on top his head.

~

That night I had a dream; Sherlock had somehow managed to get to the top of the backyard fence and was gazing down at the ground below with the faintest uncertainty.

"A leap of faith, that's all it takes. I don't want a repeat of what happened with Irene, Isabel is so much more. This is the only way." He closed his eyes, sucked in a deep breath and raised a foot. The scene cut to nothing but black but I was distinctly aware of the faint, barely echoing clink. Like something was broken.

~

Morning came and I stood and stretched, mind slowly turning back on. That when I remembered my dream.

Not bothering to change out of my purple and gold pajamas, I bolted out the door and into the backyard where I found the entire gnome family crowded around something. "No..." Those who noticed me began stepping back, followed by others until I had a clear path to run up and kneel down to get a closer.

It was a plastic bag, one of the spare doggie ones from the shed, there was something underneath it. I didn't want to lift it but I knew I couldn't not lift it. With a trembling hand I reached out, pinched the end between my thumb and forefinger, and slowly started to lift. What was underneath, made me drop it with a choked cry.

Sherlock's shattered remains.

For a moment or two I couldn't say anything, then I began to cry, I was crying hard. Wailing, screaming, sweeping his shattered pieces into both hands as I watered them with my tears. It was awhile before Watson came up to me and patted my leg, he didn't have to say anything, him coming up was thanks enough. Then, through all the misery surrounding me, something else slid into the picture.

"Wise men say, only fools rush in..."

I raised my head, tears slowly receding, everyone began to look up and search with their eyes and ears to see where the singing was coming from. At that point I began aware of the light tapping of footsteps coming up the block.

"But I can't help falling in love, with you," Cautiously I stood and made my way to the gate. "Shall I say...would it be a sin? That I can't help, falling in love with you." Just as I reached the gate someone took to handle from the other side. "For I can't help falling in love with...you." It finally swung open and all the gnomes gasped, my jaw dropped.

Standing in the gateway was the most handsome boy I had ever seen, he looked about my age and wore a plaid green overcoat with a very familiar matching hat. You could barely make out the smooth brown hair sticking out underneath it and an old time English pipe was perched between his lips. He smiled faintly before removing it and looking upon it with an arched brow.

"You think it's too much like the original?" Tears tumbled from my eyes as I wrapped my arms around his neck and held him tight. He hugged me back, casual at first, but it wasn't long until I felt his tears on my backside. The gnomes all cheered, realizing like me who had returned to the garden. As I pulled back to look him in the eye, the rest of the world went out of focus and all there was his beautiful human face.

"Told you a leap of faith was all it took." I smiled with all the love in my heart. "I'd like to say I didn't doubt you but you'd be able to see right through it." He placed a palm on my cheek and smiled. "I love you Isabel the mender." I tilted into his touch with starry eyes. "I love you too, my gnome detective." And when we kissed I knew we were both where we belonged; with each other.

The End