Iron Bars

He's keeping me in a cage, like a beast.

"One of the strongest creatures on this planet, supposedly on par with gods spare the mortality, here in my little castle." Seth strides forward, chuckling to himself.

I don't reply. The cage is small, like a big birdcage, and I'm hunched up in a ball because of it. My uniform is charred and blackened. Lucas weaved some magic into it so it wouldn't burn.

"Well, tell me, scaly. How do you like your room?" the smirk on Seth's face makes me want to tear him in half. If I could, I would've burst out of here and had this place in ashes, like the coastal villa.

But the others' lives are on the line. Actually, my first thought was, Zakku's life was on the line.

"If you won't talk to me, I'm afraid you're not going to enjoy your time here. You see, I have a lot to ask you, and as you know our deal-"

"I know our deal." I snap, "But you know it too. You released my father?"

"Of course. I told him you died in the shootout, though. Can't have him going to rescue his little girl. I told all of them you're dead. McLaughlin, the parasite, Mara, all of them. I told the whole world. That you died, and your body burned with your flames." Seth's hair blends into the dark shadows of the attic. Around the cage are other antiques. Statues, paintings, jewelry... and the dragon.

"Apart from your little gang, the world was glad to hear the news. A dangerous monster like yourself-"

"I am no monster!" I roared. "I may be a prisoner, but you will treat me like one at least!"

"You are a killer, Ellie!" Seth shouted back. His crown slipped a little on his head, too big for him. "You took lives because you were delusional! There is no Frost, there is no secret to let out, all there is is a group of bastards who have blood on their hands and insane fantasies!"

"There is a Frost! It destroyed everything on my island, killed half my family in front of my face! It haunts my dreams, and spreads as we argue!" how could he be so stupid?!

Seth sighed. "You're very confused. You all are. I'm not here to fight over your insanity. I'm here to ask you where can I find your friends. Where are they striking next?"

I don't reply. I can't attempt at my own life to protect Anthony's secrets, but I can at least try be resistant.

Seth lets out another sigh. "I'll probably not get it out just by asking. I figured I needed to prepare something..." he claps his hands. Nothing could have braced me for this method of his.

I immediately tried to struggle when Zakku was brought out in chains by a soldier, deep bleeding gashes all over his body, signs of being whipped harshly. Even looking so thrown about, his face can still make my chest tighten. He is handsome, even when most of his form is cuts. He's like one of those pictures you see of dying angels or gods. And Seth was about to look like a scene of a horror movie.

"You son of a bitch, I'll kill you!" I can feel the heat surging through my body, threatening Seth without him realising.

"Now now, scaly. You don't want him to suffer more than he has, do you?" the king smirks.

"I want you to go to hell." I retort.

Seth turns to the soldier. "If you please."

Zakku let out a scream as the soldier ran the blade of a sword across his back. I wanted to shut my eyes and cover my ears, but I could still hear the cry in my head. Zakku landed on his arms, his breath running deep. Scarlet stains formed around him on the floor as his back dripped.

"Stop it, stop it you bastard!" I yelled at not just Seth but the torturer as well. I tried to hit at the cage and kick at it, but it was enchanted, and burned me when I tried.

"E-Ellie..." Zakku panted.

"Lets see..." Seth grabbed Zakku off the ground. "Can I cut the silver off your tongue?" he whipped out a knife.

"No... gods, please no...!" I begged.

Another scream. Blood leaked from Zakku's mouth. Tears began to stream down my face.

"FINE, FINE I'LL TELL YOU! JUST STOP IT!" I sobbed.

Seth laughed. "Sure thing. But for good measure..."

"No... please..."

Zakku screeched. His fingers were cut.

Another cry. His neck...

"STOP IT! STOP-"

I blinked. Seth was standing there still, but Zakku was gone? In his place was a blonde woman, in a dust pink dress and golden crown.

"You said you would talk. I think you've had enough." she giggled.

"W-What did you do to him?!" my face was wet with crying.

"Shh, dear. Tell us where Anthony McLaughlin is."

"... he's heading for Mirrur... just stop hurting Zakku..."

"Mirrur? Well, I suppose such a wasteland would be good cover for a band of criminals..." Seth mused. "Lets go, Caitlin, my dear." he gently touched the girl, Caitlin's face. I didn't know someone could actually love such a murderer...

"Of course. But give me a minute." Caitlin giggled again. She was less queenly than Mara, and more princessy.

Seth marched out of the room, his stupid cloak billowing. Caitlin approached me.

"Where is Zakku... let him go..."

"Oh I'm sorry, love. But... he's not here. You see, we tricked you. With an illusion. Congratulations. You haven't just doomed him, you've doomed all of your friends." she laughed, her voice sickly sweet.

What?!

"You BITCH!"

"Funny how the heart works. You're all fighter, a walking blaze, so much power in your flesh and blood. And then one little boy comes along, and makes you both dominoes of glass. One tips over, you both fall. And as you fall... you shatter." Caitlin tucks a stray blonde hair behind her ear.

"Me and Seth on the other hand... we don't do that. You turn to glass, we turn to steel. Steel that becomes a knife, a knife that plunges into the very heart of this world. When you fall, when the Frost takes so much, Aliud will be the beacon of hope. But Mara will not be the face of it."

And with that, she glides out of the room. I droop in my cage. I've done it. I gave in. I've betrayed them. I killed the planet. How didn't I see it?

Because Zakku has his hands on my heart. They knew I wanted him. His kind are known for seduction and charm. But it's not his body I wanted. I wanted his warmth. I wanted him to hold me in his arms even if the world were to fall apart. Because then I'd know I wouldn't break too.

Aphrodite of love was born in the wake of the first murder. And she will be murdered in the wake of the last, foolish, love.