Promise

Chapter 1

"I'll see you guys around." Dante and Lady turned to Trish in shock. First she took the time to slowly count out the money to mock them for losing the race to the job but now she was dropping this bomb in them.

Lady wasn't exactly sure how she was supposed to react to this. Although she considered Trish a friend, they only met a few weeks ago. They hit it off, much to Dante's wallet's dismay. However, Trish had only worked with her for one job after the trio killed the demon priest. Trish never came by Devil May Cry. They only ran into each other at the library and they fought together to defeat Abigail. She looked at the eerily quiet Dante before coming up with a response. "Oh uh see you Trish." Lady was never good at goodbyes.

Trish smirked at their reaction, gave Lady a hug, shook a confused Dante's hand and rode off on her motorcycle to who knows where. Dante and Lady stood in the middle of the shop for a few moments trying to comprehend what exactly just happened.

Dante stared at the floor for a little moment longer. "Are you going to leave too?" Lady looked at him confused. Why did he care where she went?

"Dante, are you okay?"

"You're avoiding the question."

"You avoided mine." Neither was going to back down.

"I'm fine Lady."

"No you're not. Dante, I'm not blind. You act happy around Patty, Trish and I but I've seen you at night, sitting alone in the dark and...drinking...What's going on? Talk to me."

"..."

It was his fault she caught him.
—————————————————————————————————————————————————
A day after they worked together with the highway department, Lady had been walking through the streets to get something to eat. As she was looking at her options, she accidentally bumped into a man, partially fell into his arms. Before she could apologize, she heard a familiar voice. "Oh so now you're finally falling for me."

"Oh shut up Dante."

"Where're you headed so late Lady? You know what they say happens to beautiful women at night walking alone." He couldn't help but smirk at her blush.

He would never tell her but loved seeing her blush. It showed that she had a softer side and it made her face glow.

All too soon for Dante's liking, Lady regained her harden exterior. "I was on my way to dinner."

"Oh so was I. Care to join me?"

"I'm not paying for you, Dante."

"Not asking you to."

"Last time I checked, you don't have any money."

"That's your fault."

"Your fault for owning me money." As they spoke, they kept leaning in closer as the spoke. It was somewhat childish and they received a few stares from people walking past but they didn't care. They both cherished these moments, not that they would admit it.

Dante smirked seemed to somehow become wider. "Alright, you got me there. Now follow me for the best food this city has to offer."

They talked about anything and everything they could think of as they walked to Freddy's dinner. After grabbing a booth and giving Cindy, who gave Dante a thumbs-up and a good luck, their order, Dante brought up the topic of where Lady was staying.

"Oh just in a hotel room. Nothing too fancy."

"Why? Your room is still untouched from when you left."

She had almost forgotten about it. After the duo killed the last of the demons in the ruins of Temen-ni-gru, Lady finally lets how tired she was shown. Dante offered her a room in his shop and that began their partnership. Neither worried seemed to worry about the effects of losing the last of their families. They didn't have time to do anything but fight demons and get food together at the very beginning. They slowly made the shop how it was today, replacing all the broken furniture from the demon's visits. They had an agreement that if one went on a mission, the other would stay and watch the phone so to speak. However, when Trish came to take Dante to Mundus, Lady had already left for a mission. When she returned and saw that he wasn't there, she had planned to wait for him to return. However, she received a call from a whole new country that needed  her help.

She figured it would be great to learn a new language.

She left Dante a note in the drawer where he kept his favorite liquor and left. She promised in the note to return as soon as she could, to collect the money from all the poker games they played.

She added that last part right before she put the letter away so it wouldn't look like she was going to miss him. Because she wasn't, she told herself that. She pretended she didn't think about him the entire year she was gone. She told herself he was doing the same,

"Seriously Lady, just come back home." She snapped out of her thoughts and he began to blush like crazy. There was no joking tone in his voice, he meant it. He wanted her to come back. Neither of them could remember having a true home, he cursed himself for saying that. He was ready for her to either laugh or yell at him. Instead, he simply got an okay and she paid for dinner.

Patty was pleasantly surprised to see her there. It was nice having another girl around, even if at times Lady would be away on missions.

Lady loved hanging out with Patty. She always wanted to know what it felt like to have a daughter.

It was nice to spend time again with Dante too, not that she was going to say anything.
————————————————————————————————————————————
Dante turned away from her and poured himself a drink. "You want some?"

She rolled her eyes at him but she expected this. He didn't enjoy talking seriously. "Sure, But you have to tell me what's wrong."

"Well, see how drunk I get and maybe you'll get what you're asking for."

A few hours later, Lady found out about the two levels of drunk Dante. The first was, as she expected, very flirty and joking. He called her sexy, hot and everything in between. This Dante used the corniest pickup lines and she couldn't but laugh. She will admit she flirted a bit alone with him, only to see where it would go, she swore to herself. He didn't touch her, just leaned in a bit too close to soak in her features.

The second level was kind of surprising to Lady.

It began after he took his fifth or sixth drink. He started to get very quiet. He turned to her and studied her face for what felt like an eternity.

"Uhh...what are you doing?"

"You don't realize how beautiful you are Lady." If she was sober, she would have cursed him out, but drink Lady was actually curious about what he wanted to say.

"I know I'm attractive Dante."

"You're more than a pretty face Lady." She was blushing now. She couldn't help it. They were sitting together on the floor in the middle of the shop. drinking and saying whatever came to mind. Dante had a lot he needed to say to her. "You're smart, skilled, and confident."

"A-Are you finished?" Her face was redder than her eye.

"Almost. Don't leave me, Lady..." Her fluster face was replaced with confusion. He sighed as he laid on the floor. He stretched out his arms, holding the bottle in one hand and tapping the floor with the other. Lady laid down next to him and rested her head on his arm. He bent his arm and gently placed it around her shoulders. He was careful to stay away from her chest. He may be drunk but that doesn't make him stupid. He put the bottle down to run his finger through his hair and turned to meet her eyes. They stayed quiet for a few moments, just looking at each other. Letting the other know that it was okay to speak how they felt. It was just the two of them.

"You of all people know I've lost everyone. My dad, my mom, my brother...and then you left. God, I was so mad at you."

"I was only gone for a year."

"A year too long. You were the one person I had left Lady."

"You had Trish."

"It wasn't the same. I told Lady, it was because of you I knew what's important. You are so important to me. Sure, Trish is a good friend but she could never replace you. I missed you like crazy."

"I missed you too Dante." There was no point in holding back anymore.

"These past few weeks have been the greatest weeks of my life. When I finally think I'm over missing you, Trish leaves to go find herself. She wanted to make a new identity for herself become her own demon hunter. I'm pretty sure she just got sick of me, I mean who wouldn't?"

"Dante, do not talk about yourself like that!"

"It's true Lady! Why do you think I lose everyone in my life?! Even when everyone is here, they don't stay! I should just give up already—" She slapped him. She hated that kind of thinking, it was too personal for her.

"Dante listen to me. When Trish told you she wanted to see the world and be a demon hunter, that was true. She told me so. She also wanted to give you space, you seemed to want to be alone. Patty now has her real mother, something she's wanted forever.

"And you?

"Circumstance slips us apart. I regret not coming back soon. You were hurting and I wasn't there to help you. I'm sorry. I can't change the past but I'll make it up to you."

"Does that mean you'll stay?" He had to know her answer. Morrison has other clients, Patty has her mom and Trish has her adventure. He needs her. He doesn't want to be alone anymore.

"Yes, Dante. I promise I won't leave again."

His eyes widen in shock and he leaned in to kiss her. Unlike in the library, she didn't pull away. It was brief but perfect. He then hugged her and she felt him crying against her hair. This is the second time she has seen him cry, but they were happy tears this time.

She hugged him back. There was no reason to pretend they didn't feel anything for each other at this moment. She began to cry too, she regretted all the times she was mean to him. They laid there crying for a little longer until they fell asleep on the floor in each other's arms. It was what they needed it.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————
The next morning, they were awoken but a sharp gasp.

"Oh my god! I don't believe it! On the floor?!" Lady shot up. To her horror, she saw Morrison and Patty in front of them in the doorway of the shop. Patty figured Dante had dirty the shop again and Morrison had a job for him. Morrison hid his laugh behind his hate and Patty had a look that was mixed with confusion and happiness for the two.

"Ugh Patty...why do you have to be so loud?" Unlike Lady, Dante got up slowly and rubbed his head. He was a little hungover and annoyed his cuddle time with Lady came to an end.

"This isn't what it looks like!" This was her worst nightmare come true.

"Come along Patty, let's leave these two alone." Patty nodded, smirked, and walked out the door. Morrison closed it with a smirk.

"Wait no! This isn't—Dante let go of my waist."

"Come on babe, just let them go and believe whatever they want. When she stopped struggling he smirked. "Besides, there are worse things than us sleeping together."

"Idiot!"