Chapter 1 | Starry Night

Spring was Minhyuk's favorite season. When all the trees in the alleys and parks start to blossom and fill the air with their scents. It was the second Thursday of March which meant that Minhyuk's school organized its annual spring feast. Normally, he wouldn't go to feasts like that but since he and his mom moved back here to live with his stepfather he takes every opportunity to avoid being at home. But even though he went to the feast he tried to stay as invisible as possible and he just observed the people in his surroundings. Some students were dancing, some were drinking stuff they somehow managed to smuggle into the hall and others just cheered or laughed.

Minhyuk found an empty table and started sketching some silhouettes of the crowd which was dancing to the deafening music, he would never listen to if he had the choice. He kept looking around to find new motives he could draw when he suddenly spotted one of this semester's newcomers in the corner of the room. The boy looked like the total opposite of Minhyuk – chubby cheeks, athletic and a rather tough appearance. Minhyuk studied the boy for a bit and realized quickly that his look was just façade – aside of his secluded behavior he was visibly shy and it seemed as if the steadily increasing volume of the music and the loud crowd made him tense.

Minhyuk couldn't help himself when he felt that sudden urge to protect this timid boy. He decided to approach him when out of nowhere a red-headed guy appeared – his eyes fixed on the new guy and a sly smile spread across his lips. "Kihyun", he thought immediately after seeing the smooth and confident walk of the intruder.

Kihyun – a notorious 'bad boy' and the worst bully at school – obviously wanted to get the shy boy's attention, but for an entirely different reason than Minhyuk. Since he was known for always hitting on the new guys who haven't got the chance to find friends and people who could somehow cover their backs.

Although Minhyuk was torn between fear and courage he still decided to save the new guy who seemed to block out the situation. The guy closed his eyes and covered his mouth with the knuckles of his left hand when Kihyun stopped in front of him as if he knew what was going to happen. You would think that a tiny guy like Kihyun would fear people who are taller and more masculine than him but somehow, we managed that people fear him and his fellows. When Minhyuk rushed between Kihyun and that boy, he simply grabbed the boy's hand without saying a word and softly guided him out of the room without facing Kihyun or his fellows.

Wonho looked confused at the strangers' faces who were passing him and the unknown skinny boy who was dragging him out of the room. That skinny blonde boy who came out of nowhere and guided him away from the uncomfortable situation that was about to develop. Wonho could only see the boy's blurred face for one second when he suddenly felt how someone reached for his hand and made him open his eyes out of confusion. But he couldn't see any features because Wonho's eyes were still teary and fuzzy. He was curious to see the boy's face but for now, he could only feel his hands and noticed how soft they were. Wonho couldn't help but squeeze them a little. Minhyuk was unsure what the boy wanted to gesture with that gesture – was he thankful, scared, confused? Maybe the boy wanted to let go of his hand but that would have been too embarrassing in front of all people, so Minhyuk also held his hand more firm which created a shy smile on Wonho's face. After some meters, they managed to get through the dancing crowd and came to the exit door which led into the school's corridor. The corridor, which was only enlightened by some lanterns the students of the ball committee decided to hang on the lockers, was empty and the two boys were finally alone and beyond Kihyun's reach. A few more steps and Minhyuk finally turned around to look into Wonho's eyes.