Chapter 9 | A Promise

They knew that they only had a few hours in the car together when they wake up the next day, so they stayed up as long as they could and enjoyed every second they had left.

Minhyuk laid down between Wonho's legs, his head pressed against his chest and his arms balanced on Wonho's knees so he could draw steady lines. Wonho watched how Minhyuk's elegant hands slid smoothly over the paper and how the pencil left barely visible lines behind on the pages of his new sketchbook.

"What are you drawing?"

"I try to sketch uhm... you?" Minhyuk said shyly making it sound more like a question.

"Me?" Wonho giggled. He kissed Minhyuk's forehead from behind and placed his chin on Minhyuk's head.

"Yeah but I don't know how it will turn out, so please don't be mad if it's bad."

"I don't think you could draw anything bad."

"You'd be surprised." Minhyuk laughed.

As time flew, Minhyuk noticed that Wonho's head became heavier and heavier because he slowly drifted off to sleep. He put the sketchbook aside and leaned to the side to meet his eyes.

"Come on let's take a walk," Minhyuk said softly.

"In the middle of the night?"

"Yeah, why not? It will be beautiful! The stars never shine so brightly in the city." Minhyuk says.

Wonho covered him with his arms tighter and pulled Minhyuk up with him, hugging him from the back.

"Okay then, sweetheart, one last walk under the stars," Wonho whispered into Minhyuk's ears which almost made him melt.

"Why does everything you say sound so cheesy?" Minhyuk laughed.

Minhyuk took his hand and they ran out of the tent to the beach. As Minhyuk looked back Wonho could see a little fire spark in his eyes and he knew what he was planning to do. But Wonho held him back before he could throw both of them into the cold water.

He pulls Minhyuk into a tight hug and lets himself fall into the soft sand with Minhyuk in his grip.

"You didn't think I'd make the mistake again and go into this freezing hell of water, did you?" Wonho said playfully to Minhyuk who's still caught in Wonho's strong arms above him. "I won't take you for a piggyback every time, you know."

"And I thought you liked being hugged by me. Then no hugs from me anymore." Minhyuk teased him.

Wonho rolled around, holding himself steadily over Minhyuk. The moon silhouetted Minhyuk as if he was an ethereal creature. His skin, his collarbone, the curve of his lips lit in a soft blue. Some grains of sand in his slightly curled hair. Too beautiful for this world.

"I'll carry you on my back whenever you want," Wonho said dangerously close.

He took in every little second as if he wanted to create an invisible map of Minhyuk in this brief moment, memorize every little detail, so he would never forget it. How he could feel Minhyuk's heartbeat through his chest which moved under him with every hasty breath he took. How his lashes got entangled with each other every time he blinked. His lovely uneven blink which drove Wonho crazy.

Wonho bore down on him fully for an all-consuming kiss, pressing Minhyuk into the soft and cool sand, so he covered his whole body. Minhyuk reached for Wonho's face and buried his fingertips in his hair while Wonho let his lips wander to the spot under his ear, down to the dip of his throat. Wonho held him as if he was fragile as glass.