Chapter six

As Souichi and Alan entered the house, three other people who, until then, were minding their own business, suddendly turned to them with obvious shock on their faces. They were the warriors Souichi mentioned, Anya: a fifteen year old girl who looked like a princess with a permit to kill, Damon; a 37 year old guy with a huge beard and Kenchun, a person whose gender Alan couldn't possibly figure out. They were staring at them until Souchi closed the door with a bang.

"Who is this Sou"? Anya asked getting her knife out. "Didn't we have a deal about bringing strangers to the house?" anger was evident in her voice, but she was trying not to lose it completely.

"Yeah man" Damon chimed in "this guy doesn't even look dead. How did you bring him here and more importantly, why?"

The only person who kept quiet was Kenchun, and that did nothing to alleviate Alan's nervousness.

"Look guys, this is so uncool first of all. Alan is a guest, and you know that I would never endanger any of you. Second of all, does this face look threatening?" he said squishing Alan's cheeks and flashing them a huge grin.

"It is not like you to bring someone here, Sou. Especially not someone who is still most certanly alive. I speak for all of us when I say that our patience is wearing thin. Explain yourself...yet today" Kenchun spoke for the first time, and his tone bore no arguments.

Soucihi would have liked their first encounter with Alan to have gone differently, but he started to explain Alan's situation to them quickly, scared their patience might wear off soon. He explained to them how Alan wanted to commit suicide and how a demon almost took his soul. He admitted his decision was reckless, but also said how he saw no other solution, because the shimmer in Alan's eyes spoke volumes of the strenght of his will to end his life. Their expressions started to turn softer, as they remembered how there was no one there to stop them ending their lives. They remembered the despair and the cold. How they thought they were completely alone. And the shaking of their hands and the uncertainty in their minds. They understood Souichi's decision, but they didn't know what was Souichi's next move.

"And that's all folks" Souichi said ending the short story of encountering Alan and bringing him to the world of the dead.

"Look man, we are just cautious" Damon said to Alan "we didn't mean any harm."
"Yeah, Alan, sorry" Anya confirmed Damon's words. "We don't get a lot of visitors around here, and they're usually kinda dead already so" she said apologetically.

Kenchun just smiled and offered everyone some freshly brewed tea, which they all readily accepted. Alan didn't say much, but he started to get more comfortable. The house was warm, had huge fluffy rugs under each armchair (and there were five of them), and smelled of wood, tea and roasted chestnuts. He didn't feel this welcome in such a long time that he almost forgot where he was. Suddenly the realisation hit him. He didn't know why Souichi brought him here or what will happen to him now! The anxiety started to build up inside his chest and he was feeling woozy. His hands were tingling. There were so many thoughts in his head. So many thoughts! He couldn't focus. The only thing he could feel was the warm mug in his hand, until it slipped and fell to the ground. When it did, everyone turned to him. They didn't know what was happening, but after a while, Souichi brought Alan back to his senses. He held Alan's hand until he started to look around with a more alert expression in his eyes and was talking to him in a soothing voice. When he was once again calm, he voiced his worries to everyone. Souichi spoke:

"I brought you here to see Caladhiel, the queen of light. She will give you a mission, and you will save lives with us. I thought that maybe you could gain some perspective through saving people just like you, and I thought that the experience might give you a purpose, convince you to change your mind. I brought you here so you could decide to save your own life."