Chapter 8 - He Was The Only Family I Had Left

"What?" I asked. He glanced over at me as he drove. "Your house. So you can get your stuff?" he said. I nodded even though I was a little confused. "Okay... but what if my father's there?" I asked.

"What exactly did he do?" he asked glancing at me quickly again and entwining our hands on my lap.

"You know how I was upset the other day and asked you to meet up?" I asked him.

"Yeah," he said as he turned onto my street.

"Well, I was upset because people have been summoning me in my dreams, one of those people being my grandmother. My dad knew about it and kept suggesting I go to them, but I refused." I looked up at him and he nodded, looking slightly confused though. "Well, I got mad and upset and met up with you in the park. You kissed me, and I had to push you away so you wouldn't get caught up in my world, not because I didn't like you," I said.

He nodded and smiled a little at our kiss as he pulled into the driveway. "When I came home, he put a bag over my head when I walked in and he kidnapped me." He let go of the steering wheel and looked at me after he parked. "He what?" he said.

"He kidnapped me and took me on a boat heading to my grandmother. He left me no choice but to jump and swim away to the coast. That's when I called you and you know the rest from there," I whispered. He hugged me. "I'm so sorry, Rain," he said. I nodded into his chest and just let him hug me for a moment before I pulled away.

"Let's go inside before he turns up," I said. He nodded and opened his door. "Is it okay if I punch him next time I see him?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said and took his hand as I came around on the other side. I tried the handle. Locked. "Do you have a spare key out here?" he asked.

"Sort of," I said and walked over to a potted plant. I lifted the plant from the pot and took one of the pearls layering the bottom. "What's the that?" he asked as I put the plant back.

"You'll see," I said as I walked back over to the door. I cracked it on the handle and put the pearl's empty shell back into my pocket. I tried the handle again and it opened. He stood there watching me in awe. I walked in and immediately noticed the smell. I gagged. It smelled something spoiled.

I lifted the bottom of my dress and used it to cover my nose. Derik copied my actions as he shut the door behind us. "Let's go to my room," I said as I grabbed a can of air freshener and sprayed it around. I let my dress fall and breathed in the scent. "That's better," I said as I led him up the stairs and into my room.

I held the door open for him as he looked around at my room. He grabbed a book off a shelf and sat down and started to read it as I grabbed a suitcase from the back of my closet. I saw him glance at me as he read the book several times. I kept packing my bag and ignored him until he started laughing. "What's so funny?" I asked him. He shook his head and smirked. "Nothing," he said.

"Derik," I warned.

"Give me the book," I said.

"No," he whined.

"What's so funny then?" I asked, walking over to him.

"Here, I'll read a part from the book, okay?" he asked, smirking. I crossed my arms and sat at the foot of my bed. "Okay," I said.

"'Derik is amazing! I just wish I was human so I could date him. Maybe we could grow up and be together and grow old together if I was only human." He looked back up at me and I tackled him for the book.

He laughed and held the book away from me. "I feel so flattered that you feel so strongly about me," he said. I crossed my arms. I was tall, but he was taller and I couldn't reach it. "How much did you read?" I asked.